New Southgate Cemetery
New Southgate Cemetery is a 22 hectare cemetery in New Southgate in the London Borough of Barnet.<ref name=GIGL>Template:Cite web</ref> It was established by the Colney Hatch Company in the 1850s and became the Great Northern London Cemetery, with a railway service running from near Kings Cross station to a dedicated station at the cemetery, similar to the service of the London Necropolis Company to Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey. The railway service to Great Northern London Cemetery soon closed, but the cemetery has remained open. Perhaps the most famous person buried at the cemetery is Shoghi Effendi (1897-1957), a leader of the Bahá'í Faith.
Great Northern Cemetery
After the closure of burial grounds in central London in the 1850s, there was a movement to establish new cemeteries further from the centre of the city. The Cemeteries Clauses Act 1847 allowed for the creation of commercial cemeteries, expanded upon by the Burial Act 1852.
The Colney Hatch Company acquired land for a cemetery near Colney Hatch (now known as New Southgate; the name was later changed to avoid association with the nearby Colney Hatch Lunatic Asylum). Originally intended to cover 200 acres, the cemetery eventually reached covered 150 acres.
The cemetery is located about Template:Convert north of Colney Hatch Station, now New Southgate railway station, which is about Template:Convert on the Great Northern Railway main line north of Kings Cross station, which had opened in 1852, only a few years before the cemetery. The Great Northern London Cemetery Company was formed as a joint venture between the Great Northern Railway Company and the Colney Hatch Company under an 1855 local Act of Parliament. with a view to providing cheap and convenient burial services to the residents of central London. A similar service was established in 1854 by the London Necropolis Company, running from London Necropolis railway station near Waterloo station to Brookwood Cemetery near Woking, Surrey, but the Template:Convert journey took around 45 minutes compared to 15 minutes between Kings Cross and Colney Hatch.
The Great Northern London Cemetery Company aimed at the lower end of the market, charging 6 shillings to carry a coffin, and plus a return fare of 1s 6d for each mourner, plus another fee for burial, starting at 10s or 11s. The fees for burial at Brookwood Cemetery started at over £1.
A siding was built next to the main line north of Kings Cross railway station with a separate station building at Maiden Lane (now York Way). The station near Kings Cross included a steeple and gothic arches, built above a retaining wall beside the railway line in a cutting below. It included a morgue - intended to avoid the unhygienic storage of cadavers at the deceased's family home - and facilities for mourners, with a lift to carry coffins down to the tracks. Rail services began in around 1861 and ran twice a week to Colney Hatch. North of Colney Hatch station, a single railway track ran away to a terminus to the west of East Barnet Lane (later renamed Brunswick Park Road), beside the cemetery, where there were waiting rooms and chapels. The cemetery was laid out by Alexander Spurr in a concentric plan around a Gothic chapel with a Template:Convert high spire.
Rail services ceased at some point between 1867 and 1873, and both stations were later demolished. Works for Standard Telephones and Cables were built on the former location of the station in 1922; it now forms part of North London Business Park.
New Southgate Cemetery
Although the rail service ceased, the cemetery remained open for burials. It was later renamed New Southgate Cemetery.
Later burials include the cemetery's architect and superintendent Alexander Spurr (died 1873) and Ross McWhirter (1925-1975). Perhaps the most famous person buried at the cemetery is Shoghi Effendi (1897-1957), a leader in the Bahai faith, who died on a visit to London in 1957 and who, in accordance with the faith, was buried near the place of his death.
The cemetery was acquired by New Southgate Cemetery and Crematorium Company in 1993. It now includes sections for Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, and Caribbean burials.
Parts of the land that once formed part of the cemetery grounds are now a modern housing estate.
The cemetery is a Site of Borough Importance for Nature Conservation, Grade II.<ref name=GIGL/> The Pymmes Brook Trail runs along the eastern boundary.<ref name=map>Template:Cite web</ref>
The cemetery contains war graves of 109 Commonwealth service personnel, two Belgian soldiers, and 51 German prisoners who were buried from the Alexandra Palace Internment Camp in World War I, besides 86 Commonwealth service war graves from World War II. A Cross of Sacrifice stands in front of the cemetery chapel. Those Commonwealth service personnel whose graves could not be marked by headstones are listed on a Screen Wall memorial for those of World War I and a Kerb Wall memorial for those of World War II.<ref name=cwgc> CWGC Cemetery Report.</ref> Template:Commonscat
- Nature reserves in Barnet
- Kings Cross Cemetery Station, R.G. Lucas, The Railway Magazine October 1954
- Finchley N11 Brunswick Park and Osidge, Barnet Borough Council
- New Southgate Cemetery and Crematorium, London Parks and Gardens Trust
- London’s Necropolis Train, Paul Slade, Fortean Times, January 2004
- Death in the Household, Cassell's household guide, p.314
- The secret cemetery, p.68