Newland House School
Template:Infobox UK school Newland House School is an independent co-educational preparatory school located in Twickenham, Greater London, England. The current Head Master is David Alexander.
Newland House School has almost 400 pupils from the ages of four to thirteen, the Pre-Prep School for pupils aged four to seven years, and the Main School for those aged seven to thirteen. Pupils in the Main School are sorted into four houses named after gods: Jupiter, Neptune, Saturn and Vulcan. The school teaches a wide range of academic and vocational subjects, from the Classics and music to sports and Design and Technology, and prepares its pupils for entry to independent senior schools.
Newland House School was founded in 1897 at Newland House in Oak Lane, Twickenham, which is named after its former owner, Francis Henry Newland Glossop, J.P. (brother of the then Vicar of Twickenham, the Revd. George Glossop). The Glossops lived at nearby Amyand House and then moved into the newly built house in 1871. When Francis died in 1886, the house was named after him: Newland House. On its opening in 1897, the new school is believed to have been briefly named 'Amyand House School' in memory of Glossop's earlier home, but soon took the name of the building it occupied, to become known as 'The Newland House School'. It moved to a larger site in Strawberry Hill Road, Twickenham, in about 1930 and then to its present site in Waldegrave Park between 1944 and 1945, when for a time it also became known as 'Twickenham Grammar School'. Glossop's son and grandson were each killed in action in the last year of the First and Second World Wars, respectively: his son Major Walter Herbert Newland Glossop of the Canadian Infantry (Quebec Regiment: 225th Battalion), on 1 April 1918, aged 53, and grandson Francis Walter Andrew Glossop of Captain Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada (RCIC), on 30 March 1945, aged 28.
From 1888, the original house at 32 Waldegrave Park, on which the existing main school building is based, was known as 'Heriotdene', and became the home of Henry Cheers, a highly successful Victorian and Edwardian architect from Chester, who designed many schools, town halls and libraries across England: among them Hull Northern Library in 1895; the 'Victoria Jubilee Technical School' of Preston, Lancashire, in 1897 (since renamed the 'Harris Building', and now forming the main administrative block of the University of Central Lancashire); Chorley Training College in 1905 (now Chorley Public Library); and town halls from Oswestry and Halifax to Hereford and East Ham. He also designed several chapels and churches and the original Carnegie Library, Teddington in 1906.
- Oliver Golding, tennis player and former child actor
- Patsy Kensit, actress
- Edward Sinclair, swimmer
- Stephen Milligan, Conservative politician and journalist
- Simi Garewal, Indian actress
- Chemmy Alcott, Alpine ski racer competing on the World Cup circuit in all five disciplines: downhill, super G, giant slalom, slalom, and combined. Competed in three Winter Olympic Games and six FIS World Championships and overall Senior British National Champion five times (2002, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2008).