Nieuwe Kerk (Amsterdam)
The church is in use by the Dutch royal family for investitures, most recently that of King Willem-Alexander in 2013, and weddings, most recently the wedding of Willem-Alexander to Máxima in 2002. The investitures of Wilhelmina of the Netherlands and Juliana of the Netherlands also took place there.<ref name="Dunford2010"/>
The Nieuwe Kerk is no longer used for church services but is used as an exhibition space.<ref name="Dunford2010"/> It is also used for organ recitals. There is a café in one of the buildings attached to the church that has an entrance to the church (during opening hours). There is a museum store inside the entrance that sells postcards, books, and gifts having to do with the church and its exhibitions.
The Nieuwe Kerk is a burial site for Dutch naval heroes, including Admiral Michiel de Ruyter,<ref name="Dunford2010"/> Commodore Jan van Galen, and Jan van Speyk. The poet and playwright Joost van den Vondel is also buried in the church.
After the Oude Kerk ("Old Church") grew too small for the expanding population of the town, the bishop of Utrecht in 1408 gave permission to build a second parish church. The Nieuwe Kerk was consecrated to St. Mary and St. Catharine.
The church was damaged by the city fires of 1421 and 1452 and burned down almost entirely in 1645, after which it was rebuilt in Gothic<ref name="Dunford2010"/> style. It underwent major renovation in 1892–1914, which added many neo-Gothic details, and was again renovated in 1959–1980. It was the renovation in the 70's that became too expensive for the Dutch Reformed Church, and when they said the church would be closed most of the time to save money on maintenance, it was decided to transfer ownership in 1979 to a newly formed cultural organization called the Nationale Stichting De Nieuwe Kerk.
- Sundial on church.jpg
Sun dial on West side
Original entrance (the former stained-glass window was bricked up when the organ was installed)
Houses built up against the church
- P1020907Nieuwe Kerk Amsterdam.JPG
Choir gate by Johannes Lutma
Pulpit by Albert Jansz Vinckenbrinck
- P1020913Detail Preekstoel.JPG
Detail of pulpit sounding board (from above)
- Amsterdam nieuwe kerk interieur.jpg
- P1020910 copyTranseptorgel.jpg
Transept organ (Van Hagerbeer 1651/Flentrop 1989)
- P1020915Nieuwe Kerk Amsterdam.JPG
Stained-glass window of William IV of Orange awarding the coat of arms to Amsterdam in 1342
- P1020916Nieuwe Kerk Amsterdam.JPG
Michiel de Ruyter coffin under the monument
- DirkvdM eenlandeensamenleving 1.jpg
Panel presentation and discussion in front of Michiel de Ruyter memorial monument.
- Praalgraf De Ruyter.JPG
Michiel de Ruyter memorial (detail) by Rombout Verhulst
- Amsterdam wapenbord.JPG
Coats of arms with the titles of the Dutch head of state