Nork, Surrey

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox UK place Nork is a residential area of the borough of Reigate and Banstead in Surrey and bordering Greater London, England. It is very much contiguous with its post town, Banstead and two of its residential roads adjoin the settled part of Epsom Downs. The main road through from north-east to south-west is Nork Way, along which a parade of shops is at the northern end.

History

Template:Main Nork did not exist until the 18th or 19th century when it could be considered an agricultural hamlet of Banstead village which was named after its house built under Charles II. Due to this very late inception (named, not after a chapel but a house of the same name) Nork was until the 1965 disbandment of the Banstead Urban District properly known as Banstead only. Still inchoate, as though a manor, Nork began to be used as a place name outside of the park itself from the date of the division of Banstead into two and deciding to name the two wards "Banstead Village" and "Nork" with an equal population and number of councillors in 1965. Nork until the formation of the present council ward in 1965 therefore covered a very small cluster of fields and buildings in the present or former grounds of Nork Park (surrounding Nork House)—strictly speaking, only those within the actual park itself—in the western part of the council ward of Nork; in the eastern part of this ward is Banstead railway station accordingly.

Christopher Buckle, (1684–1759), built the feature at origin of the place name, Nork House, where his son, Admiral Matthew Buckle, died. His family were until the 19th century owners of Burgh Manor at Burgh Heath. Dr. Burton, author of the Iter Surriense, in Greek, in 1752 stayed at Nork House, and describes at length the ingenious waterworks by which water was raised from a very deep well and distributed over the slopes of a dry down.

Amenities

The buildings in the area are predominantly of inter-war features, and are similar to those of nearby Tattenham Corner.

The shopping parade consists of small convenience stores and local services such as hair salons, dentists, and restaurants.

Directly to the west of Nork is another small shopping area, known as The Driftbridge, named after the former Drift Bridge Hotel and adjacent garage Template:Primary source-inline at the crossroads of Fir Tree Road and Reigate Road. The hotel later became a Toby Inn and in 2007 was converted into apartments.

Transport

See railway station above, arguably in Banstead or Nork depending upon the definition of these settlements used.

At the end of the parade of shops on Nork Way, there is a bus stop. A bus service operates to Epsom and Croydon, through Banstead.

Nork Park

Nork Park is located to the south of the main residential area, bordering Tattenham Corner and Burgh Heath. It is recognised as an area of chalk grassland and has many rare and unusual flowers. It contains football pitches, playgrounds and a community centre, and is an important area for dog-walking. There are several car parks from which the park can be accessed. The Park is part the grounds of the old Nork House estate which was bought by the local council in 1947 from the landowner David Field.

Schools

Warren Mead Infant School and Warren Mead Junior School are in Nork. The Beacon School is located next to Nork Park, and was formerly known as Nork Park School. Residents are also likely to send their children to Sutton, Cheam, Croydon or Epsom for education.

Notable residents

  • F. E. Colman, managing director of Colman's mustard manufacturers, bought Nork House in 1890 and lived there with his family until 1923. The remains of the house are visible in Nork Park, now a public recreation area.
  • The comedian David Walliams grew up in Nork and was a lifeguard at Banstead Sports Centre.

See also

  • List of places of worship in Reigate and Banstead

References

Template:Reflist

External links

Template:Reigate and Banstead