Old Dutch (restaurant)
The establishment was founded in 1932 as Bodega Old Dutch on the Coolsingel 103 and was owned by Toon and Wim Mannes. It was favoured by wealthy Rotterdammers.
On 14 May 1940 Old Dutch was burnt down during the Rotterdam Blitz. On 29 December of the same year the Mannes brothers opened a new bodega and restaurant at the Rochussenstraat 20.<ref name="gemeentearchief"/>
In 1967 Old Dutch was one of the founding members of the Alliance Gastronomique Néerlandaise, represented by M.W. Mannes.
The Mannes family remained owners of the restaurant until 1975.<ref name="gemeentearchief"/>
It is the last remaining building of the temporary shopping centre which was built in the neighbourhood after World War II to replace shops which were destroyed during the 1940 bombardment<ref name="architectuurgids"/> and initially was meant to be a temporary building but was later kept as a permanent housing for the restaurant. The bodega seats 200 people<ref name="gemeentearchief"/> and the restaurant 60.<ref name="knoopjelos"/>
The entourage and interior has more or less stayed the same since the restaurant was founded.<ref name="gemeentearchief"/> The building is a protected municipal monument because of its cultural heritage value.<ref name=vkmon>Template:Nl Template:Cite news</ref>
In the 1960s Old Dutch was noted for being a place where ship-owners, rich demolishers, builders, captains of industry and high seas captains dined.<ref name="amigoe">Template:Nl Template:Cite news</ref> The regular customers were mainly businessmen and wealthy ladies and gentlemen of middle age.<ref name="gemeentearchief"/>
From 1957 till 1974 Old Dutch held a Michelin star.<ref name="gemeentearchief"/> Famed dishes from those times were ‘Escurion’, ‘Mixed grill de poissons’ and ‘Huitres imperiales de Zélande’ (large oysters from Zeeland).<ref name="gemeentearchief"/>