Paddington Waterside

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
File:Sheldon-square.jpg
Looking down Kingdom Street from the amphitheatre in Sheldon Square, PaddingtonCentral

The Paddington Waterside Partnership is the body coordinating regeneration of the Paddington Special Policy Area around Paddington Station in London. The project covers an area almost the size of Soho, creating of about Template:Convert of space between 1998 and 2018.

It consists of 13 individual projects in the triangle of land between Praed Street, Westbourne Terrace and the A40 Westway, most notably PaddingtonCentral and Paddington Basin. The Independent has described it as "the largest central London redevelopment scheme since the Second World War".

History

File:One-three-kingdom-street.jpg
One and Three Kingdom Street from the south.

The Paddington Arm of the Grand Junction Canal opened on 10 July 1801, linking Paddington to the Bull's Bridge junction near the future site of Heathrow Airport. The Grand Junction (now part of the Grand Union Canal) was the final link in a chain of canals that reduced the distance from London to Birmingham from Template:Convert in 1789 to Template:Convert in 1805; terminating the canal at Paddington gave easy access to main roads into London and the level route meant no locks were needed on its Template:Convert length. In contrast the Regent's Canal needed 12 locks for the Template:Convert descent from Paddington to the Thames at Limehouse.

The canal was an instant success, with warehouses and housing springing up around it. Canal traffic increased further when the Regent's Canal linked Paddington to the Port of London in 1820, but Paddington Basin was "practically killed" as a port as business was lost to wharves such as City Road Basin that were closer to the docks and the City of London. Paddington regained importance as a transport interchange with the arrival of the railway in 1838.

Canal traffic transferred to the railways during the nineteenth century and fell away completely after World War II; the closure of the Regent's Canal Dock in 1969 marked the coup de grâce. A similar switch from rail to road in the second half of the twentieth century left the Paddington goods yards redundant by the early 1980s. The land became derelict, with no public access to the canal land until 1987.<ref name=McGhie>Template:Cite newspaper</ref> The Paddington Special Policy Area was designated in 1988.<ref name=factsheet>Template:Cite web</ref>

The Paddington Regeneration Partnership, later the Paddington Waterside Partnership, was formed in 1998 to coordinate the regeneration of the area, now designated as the Paddington Special Policy Area. This followed the establishment of the King's Cross Partnership in 1996 to develop a similar mix of railway and canal land around King's Cross station, a project that became known as King's Cross Central. The first plans for Paddington envisaged Template:Convert of new space, more than the original Canary Wharf development,<ref name=McGhie /> in an area the size of Soho.<ref name=McGhie /> This compares with the Template:Convert of 30 St Mary Axe (the "Gherkin") and Template:Convert of the Canary Wharf Tower. Outline planning permission for the western part of Paddington Basin was granted on 23 April 2001.<ref name=factsheet />

Projects

PaddingtonCentral

File:Paddington-central.jpg
Two Kingdom Street from the north

Bishop's Bridge station, the original London passenger terminus of the Great Western Railway was on this site west of Bishop's Bridge Road. After Paddington was built, it was used for the railway's goods sheds until the 1980s. It is now a mixed-use development, with offices, flats and retail units. Phase I is Sheldon Square which is named after Sir Joseph Sheldon, a Lord Mayor of London who in 1678 rebuilt what became the church of St Mary's on Paddington Green. Sheldon Square has Template:Convert of built space<ref name=PaddingtonCentral>Template:Cite web</ref> built around a grass amphitheatre which features live music in summer. The biggest structures are two office blocks of Template:Convert and Template:Convert let to companies such as Prudential and Kingfisher; there are 219 flats and Template:Convert of retail space.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral /> Sheldon Square was designed by Sidell Gibson and developed as a joint venture between Development Securities, Insight Investment Management and Aviva Investors.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral />

The second phase of development lies to the west, along Kingdom Street. One Kingdom Street is a Template:Convert office building completed in February 2008 and occupied by Misys, Statoil, MWB and Vodafone.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral /> It was designed by Sheppard Robson and developed by Development Securities, Aviva Investors and Union Investment.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral /> Two Kingdom Street was due for completion in spring 2010 with AstraZeneca as the first tenant and has Template:Convert of office space with Template:Convert of residential accommodation.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral /> It was designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox and developed by Development Securities, Aviva Investors and Quinlan Private.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral /> The Novotel London Paddington is a distinctive 206 bedroom hotel at Three Kingdom Street.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral /> The hotel was designed by Dexter Moren Associates and Kohn Pedersen Fox and opened in September 2008.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral /> It is a joint venture between Development Securities and Aviva Investors.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral />

In January 2010 Westminster Council granted detailed planning permission for the final phase of the development, Four and Five Kingdom Street. They will provide Template:Convert and Template:Convert of office space respectively.<ref name=PaddingtonCentral />

Stone Wharf

British Waterways intends to encourage activity on and around the canal north of the Westway up to Little Venice, with floating galleries, cafés and restaurants.

55-65 North Wharf Road and Telstar

Derwent London is employing Fletcher Priest as the architect for two sites off Bishop's Bridge Road, either side of the railway station.<ref name=Derwent>Template:Cite web</ref> Planning permission was granted in January 2008 for two buildings at 55–65 North Wharf Road, a Template:Convert office block and a block of 100 flats east of the station.<ref name=Derwent /> An eight-storey office block of Template:Convert has been built at 2 Eastbourne Terrace and is the London headquarters of the Rio Tinto Group.<ref name=Derwent /> It stands on the site of Telstar House, a 1960s office block by Richard Seifert that suffered a major fire on 29 July 2003.

10-50 Eastbourne Terrace

Further down Eastbourne Terrace, Land Securities have refurbished numbers 10, 20 and 30.<ref name=Landsecs>Template:Cite web</ref> In 2009 they sold numbers 40 and 50,<ref name=Landsecs/> Template:Convert of retail and office space.<ref name=AMDB>Template:Citation</ref> Westlink Global Investment Ltd, 60% owned by AMDB Bhd of Malaysia, paid £50.5m for a net rental yield of 8.65% based on the 94% occupancy at the time.<ref name=AMDB />

Triangle Site

The construction of the Crossrail station to the west of Paddington Station means that the existing taxi rank will be moved north of the station, opening in spring 2011.<ref name=Triangle>Template:Cite web</ref> A new entrance for the mainline station and a new ticket hall for the Hammersmith and City line will be constructed next to the canal.<ref name=Triangle />

Paddington Station

Template:Main Nicholas Grimshaw oversaw a £65m facelift of the mainline station that added Template:Convert of retail and catering space.<ref name=station>Template:Cite web</ref> The roof of Span 4 is currently being replaced in a £34m refurbishment due for completion by the end of 2010.<ref name=station /> Paddington will be an important hub for the Crossrail service, providing links to the mainline railway and the London Underground.<ref name=station /> The Crossrail station will be built between 2009 and 2015, with services due to start in 2017.

Paddington Basin and Merchant Square

File:PaddBasin.jpg
Paddington Basin

Template:Main Most of the land north of the canal basin is being developed under the banner of Paddington Basin by European Land and Property, a development company owned jointly by European Land Holdings Ltd and the Reuben brothers' Aldersgate Investments Ltd. It will create Template:Convert of offices, homes, shops and leisure facilities,<ref name=Basin>Template:Cite web</ref> with the western end being developed first. Paddington Walk is a block of 232 flats designed by Munkenbeck & Marshall and completed in August 2005.<ref name=Basin /> The Point (224,000 sq ft) and Waterside (240,000 sq ft) are office blocks designed by Terry Farrell and Partners and the Richard Rogers Partnership respectively.<ref name=Basin />

The original plan for the eastern end envisaged a commercial development including the Winding building and the Grand Union building.<ref name=Basin /> The Richard Rogers Partnership originally designed the latter as three towers of 24, 32 and 40 floors rising to 164m, but the planners imposed a height limit of Template:Convert.<ref name=Rogers>Template:Cite web</ref> The revised scheme comprised six linked blocks of 30 storeys totalling Template:Convert of mixed-use space,<ref name=Rogers /> but the project was discarded when it looked like the site would be needed by the Health Campus (see below).<ref name=merchant>Template:Cite newspaper</ref>

File:CurlingBridgeClip.jpg
The Rolling Bridge in Paddington Basin curls up to let boats through.

The Health Campus scheme collapsed in 2005 and in February 2006 the Paddington Development Corporation submitted a new planning application.<ref name=merchant /> Branded as Merchant Square, this proposes Template:Convert of mixed-use space spanning 6 buildings, including 554 residential units and 58% commercial space.<ref name=factsheet /> Two buildings are under construction having gained planning permission on 1 March 2007.<ref name=factsheet /> Four Merchant Square (Waterline House, formerly West End Reach) is a 16-storey block of 196 flats, designed by Tryfon Kalyvides Partnership, and Five Merchant Square (Carmine) is a 16-storey office block of Template:Convert designed by mossessian & partners.<ref name=introducing>Template:Cite web</ref> Marks & Spencer will occupy Five Merchant Square, having already taken the Waterside block.<ref name=introducing />

The remaining four buildings received planning permission subject to legal agreements in the summer of 2007,<ref name=factsheet /> but the plans have been revised and are subject to new planning applications.<ref name=Basin /> Under the 2007 permission, The Blade will be a residential tower of 43 storeys designed by Perkins and Will which would be the tallest building in the City of Westminster.<ref name=introducing /> Azure and Topaz will be 16-storey office blocks of Template:Convert and Template:Convert respectively, also designed by Perkins and Will.<ref name=Basin /> The final building will be a block of 146 flats called Waterweave, designed by mossessian & partners.<ref name=Basin />

A large square by the canal is planned for Merchant Square, along with business and retail barges moored alongside.<ref name=Basin /> The basin is known for its ingenious pedestrian bridges, such as The Rolling Bridge and the Helix Bridge.

North Wharf Gardens

File:North Wharf Gardens Site 1.png
View down Hermitage Street of North Wharf Gardens Site 1

Sandwiched between the Westway and the canal basin, the 1.5-hectare site of the former North Westminster Community School was omitted from the Paddington Special Policy Area as it was expected to remain in use for education.<ref name=schoolplanning2010>Template:Cite web</ref>Template:Rp The decision to build the Paddington Academy and Westminster Academy left the site available for redevelopment when the City of Westminster College moved to a new campus at the end of 2010. The planning brief proposed that "around 80% of gross internal area delivered on the site should be allocated for residential use, with public open space, and supporting active uses that provide local employment.<ref name=schoolplanning2010 />Template:Rp

In April 2012 Westminster City Council sold the site to Amwaj Property Limited, of Bahrain, which commissioned London-based Assael Architecture to design a residentially-oriented mixed-use development, the first phase of which was scheduled for completion in 2015 at an estimated cost of £71 million.

Paddington Health Campus and St Mary's Hospital

Template:Main St Mary's is a major teaching hospital with a long tradition of biomedical research, from the first synthesis of heroin to the discovery of penicillin. It is housed in buildings dating back to 1845 between Praed Street and Paddington Basin. In October 2000, the London Regional Office of the NHS approved a plan for a Paddington Health Campus that would replace three run-down hospitals - St Marys, the Royal Brompton and Harefield.<ref name=nao>Template:Cite web</ref> The initial cost was estimated at £411m at 2005 prices with completion in 2006,<ref name=nao /> to be financed by PFI,<ref name=bbc>Template:Cite news</ref> but it became apparent that the scheme was too big for the original St Mary's site.<ref name=nao /> Various locations north of the canal basin were investigated but the scheme was finally abandoned in May 2005 after costs had spiralled to £894m and the completion date put back to 2013.<ref name=nao /> £15m was spent on the project, leading a member of the Commons Public Accounts Committee to describe it as "an object lesson in how not to build hospitals....a shambles of the first order",<ref name=bbc /> and a colleague called it "incompetence on a massive scale".<ref name=bbc />

The land north of the canal that had been earmarked for the Health Campus became the Merchant Square development in Paddington Basin (see above).<ref name=merchant/> The planning application was formally withdrawn in May 2008<ref name=factsheet /> but St Mary's remains part of the Paddington Waterside Partnership. The only recent development work has been a £15m upgrade of the QEQM Wing.<ref name=factsheet />

Hilton London Paddington

Template:Main

File:Hilton London Paddington 1.jpg
Hilton London Paddington

The Great Western Royal Hotel on Praed Street was built as the station hotel in 1854.<ref name=Hilton>Template:Cite web</ref> Muirgold Limited gave it a £60m refurbishment in 2002 and it was rebranded as the Hilton London Paddington.<ref name=Hilton />

Sorting Office

The Royal Mail closed their sorting office in Praed Street in March 2010 and moved the counter service to West End Quay. A commercial development is envisaged for the site,<ref name=introducing /> along with a new ticket hall for the Bakerloo line and better access to the mainline station.<ref name=factsheet />

West End Quay

Rialto Homes and WestCity built three blocks of flats at the east end of the canal basin that were completed in 2003. West End Quay comprises 468 flats and Template:Convert of retail space, designed by Broadway Malyan.

Hilton London Metropole

Template:Main The Metropole is a landmark hotel with 1058 bedrooms on the Edgware Road,<ref name=factsheet /> next to the Marylebone flyover. Originally built in 1968, it was extended in 1986 and a conference centre was added in 1998-2000, making it the biggest convention hotel in Britain.<ref name=factsheet /> Its Template:Convert tower was the tallest building in the area for many years.

References

Template:Reflist

External links

Template:Major Development Projects in London

Template:Coord