Phoenix Academy, Telford
Phoenix Academy is a coeducational secondary school and sixth form with academy status, located in the Dawley area of Telford in Shropshire, England.
Its predecessor Dawley Modern School was opened at Pool Hill on September 17, 1956, to take children over 11 from four contributory primary schools; there were c. 500 pupils on the roll. By 1965 when comprehensive secondary education was introduced the school was renamed the Phoenix School (its name coming from idea that it 'rose from the ashes' of its predecessor). The number of pupils had risen to 1,159 by 1980. The main hall, canteen, and gymnasium, were destroyed in an arson attack on December 29, 1995.
The school was at one point in special measures, but standards have improved to the point where in 2007 the school gained a 'good' Ofsted report. The report noted that GCSE A*-C rates were below the national average but the school was commended for the high amount of progress pupils made between Year 7 and 11.
The school converted to academy status on 1 June 2013, and was renamed Phoenix Academy.
From: 'Dawley: Education', A History of the County of Shropshire: Volume 11: Telford (1985), pp. 133–135. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=18096&strquery=dawley Date accessed: 11 November 2009.