Pompeu Fabra University
Template:Infobox university Pompeu Fabra University (Template:Lang-es; Template:Lang-ca; Template:IPA-ca) is a university in Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain. Founded in 1990, it is named after the Catalan philologist Pompeu Fabra. Currently (2009–10), the University offers 19 undergraduate degrees, 37 official masters, and 9 PhD programs, as well as around 60 UPF masters. It is currently the only Spanish university to figure in the Times Higher Education top 200 ranking at position 164.
The UPF is located in three separate campuses, each associated to its own area of knowledge :
- Social Sciences and Humanities (Ciutadella Campus)
- Sciences and information technologies and communication (Communication Campus - Poblenou)
- Biomedical sciences (Mar Campus)
Teaching is organized in seven faculties or schools: (Humanities, Health and Life Sciences, Economics, Political and Social Sciences, Communication, Law, Translation and Interpretation, and one polytechnic school. Research is organized in eight departments: (Economics and Business, Law, Political and Social Sciences, Humanities, Experimental Sciences and Health, Information Technologies and Communication, Communication, Translation, Language Sciences) and three university research institutes (University Institute of Culture, Jaume Vicens i Vives University Institute of History, University Institute for Applied Linguistics). The University also has four affiliated centers (International Trade Business School -ESCI-, Elisava School of Design, University School of Business Studies of the Maresme -EUM-), Mar University School of Nursing -EUIM-, two interuniversity postgraduate platforms (Institut Barcelona d'Estudis Internacionals -IBEI- and Barcelona Graduate School of Economics -Barcelona GSE-), and its own Continuing Education Institute.
The UPF has three science parks:
- The UPF Social Sciences and Humanities Research Park (Social sciences and humanities)
- The Barcelona Biomedical Research Park (PRBB) (Biomedicine)
- The Barcelona Media Park (PBM) (Information and communication sciences and technologies)
UPF has also been participating in a set of institutions and centers specializing in teaching, research and transfer that have their own legal personality and which comprise the UPF Group, andw hich often exist in collaboration with other institutions and universities Thus, in the field of research and transfer, plus the three science parks include the Municipal Institute of Medical Research (IMIM) - Hospital del Mar, Institute of Evolutionary Biology (IBE) (CSIC-UPF), the Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG), the Institute of Territorial Studies (IET), the Research Centre for International Economics (CREI) and Fundació Barcelona Media (FBM).
Enric Argullol served as rector from the founding until June 2001, followed by M. Rosa Virós i Galtier (2001-2005) and Josep Joan Moreso (2005-2013). The current rector is Jaume Casals.
thumb The University has buildings scattered across Barcelona, mainly between les Rambles and Marina Avenue. The most important buildings are those of Ciutadella Campus, which contains the largest library of the University (Dipòsit de les Aigües), Roger de Llúria, and Jaume I buildings.
- Rafael Argullol, novelist
- Josep Joan Moreso, legal scholar
- Vicenç Navarro, sociologist
- Xavier Sala-i-Martin, economist
- Eugenio Trías Sagnier, philosopher
- Teun A. van Dijk, linguist
- Xavier Serra, music technology scholar
- Andreu Mas-Colell, economist
- Jordi Galí, economist
- Institut Universitari de Cultura
- Vives Network
- Barcelona Graduate School of Economics