Pontifical University of St. Bonaventure
Template:Commons category The Pontifical University of St. Bonaventure, commonly called the Seraphicum after the title given to its patron saint (the Seraphic Doctor), is an international educational facility in Rome, Italy, which is run by the Conventual Friars Minor. It is an international center of studies for friars of the Order from around the world. It is a Pontifical University, placing it directly under the authority of the Holy See.
The College of St. Bonaventure was founded in Rome in 1587, under the authority of Pope Sixtus V. It was founded to provide a facility for advanced studies by members of the Conventual Franciscan friars. It was originally located within the General Motherhouse of the Order, attached to the Basilica of the Holy Apostles.<ref name=CS /
The college was made an international school in 1894, when it moved to the Via San Teodoro, in the Velabrum valley at the foot of the Palatine Hill, within the Rione of Ripa. It moved again in 1964 to its current location on the Via del Serafico, just off the Via Laurentina and near the popular Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Revelation.<ref name=CS />
The university is composed of two separate faculties.
The Friary of St. Bonaventure is the community of Conventual friars who teach at the School of Theology of St. Bonaventure or some other educational facility in the city. It also houses friars who serve the Catholic Church at the Vatican and the various offices of the Church around the city.
School of Theology
This faculty covers the young friars of the Order who come from around the world to do their theological studies, usually in preparation for their receiving Holy Orders.