Pontificio Collegio Filippino

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox University Pontificio Collegio Filippino (English: Pontifical Filipino College; Filipino: Dalubhasaang Pilipinong Pontipikal), officially Pontificio Collegio Seminario de Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buen Viaje (English: Pontifical College Seminary of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage), is the college of Filipino diocesan priests studying at pontifical universities in Rome, Italy. It was formally established as an institution with pontifical rights by Pope John XXIII on June 29, 1961 through the Papal Bull Sancta Mater Ecclesia.

The current rector of Pontificio Collegio Filippino is the Rev. Fr. Gregory Ramon D. Gaston, S.T.D.

Building and some of its Unique Features

File:Pontificio Collegio Filippino - Retablo of Filipino Saints 2012.jpg
Retablo of Filipino Saints, by the Filipino sculptor Wilfredo Layug, at the Crypt Chapel of Pontficio Collegio Filippino. The Retablo depicts the indigenous religious art of Filipino Catholics, combining elements of the cultures of both the West and the Orient.

The seat of the institution is located at 490 Via Aurelia in the suburb of Rome where a four-story structure designed by Edoardo Cherubini and done in the contemporary architectural design of the 1960s stands on a Template:Convert property between the Collegio Pio-Brasiliano and the Villa Pacelli.

On the occasion of the canonization of St. Pedro Calungsod, the second Filipino saint, a commemorative Retablo was made by the Filipino sculptor Wilfredo Layug from Betis in Guagua, Pampanga,<ref name="CebuDailyNews">http://calungsod.cdn.ph/rome-tableau-shows-images-of-filipino-saints.html</ref> for the Chapel at the crypt of the College.

Both "relleba" (relief murals) of the Retablo depict St. Lorenzo Ruiz and St. Pedro Calungsod, while being tortured by pagans, to force them to renounce their faith. St. Lorenzo Ruiz was executed in Nagasaki, Japan, in 1637; while St. Pedro Calungsod was killed together with St. Diego Luis de San Vitores in 1672 in Tumhon, Guam.<ref name="CebuDailyNews" />

In the mural of St. Pedro Calungsod, Layug carved the image of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage, the Patroness of the Pontificio Collegio Filippino. The angels are Filipina women garbed in baro and saya (native Filipino blouse and skirt), done in estofado, a detailed carving style that gives the image the look of real clothes.<ref name="CebuDailyNews" />

Bamboo is a constant motif in the Retablo.<ref name="CebuDailyNews" />

History

Cardinal Rufino Santos proposed establishing the college during the meeting of the Catholic Hierarchy of the Philippines on January 26–31, 1959. His plan was supported by the Philippine ecclesiastical hierarchy and approved by the Vatican.

On August 8, 1959, Pope John XXIII personally blessed the cornerstone for the building of Pontificio Collegio Filippino in the private study of his summer residence at Castel Gandolfo. Cardinal Rufino Santos, the Cardinal Archbishop of Manila, and Philippine Ambassador to the Holy See, Jose Ma. Delgado witnessed the significant event. The following day, Cardinal Giuseppe Pizzardo laid the cornerstone on the site of the edifice in the presence of 70 Cardinals, diplomats, Superiors General, seminary and university rectors and other distinguished personalities. Pope John XXIII blessed and inaugurated the modern edifice on October 7, 1961 at the Feast of Our Lady of the Most Holy Rosary.

References

Template:Reflist

External links

Template:Roman Catholicism in the Philippines

Template:Coord