Princess Ljubica's Residence
Princess Ljubica's Residence (Template:Lang-sr) in Belgrade was built between 1829 and 1831 by Hadži-Nikola Živkovi?, a pioneer of contemporary Serbian architecture. The residence was built on order by prince Miloš Obrenovi? for his wife Ljubica and their children, the future rulers Milan and Mihailo. They began living in the residence in 1831, living there for the following ten years.Template:Sfn It is preserved as the most representative city house from the first half of 19th century. Architecturally, it contains Ottoman attributes (the so-called Serbian-Balkan style) but with elements of classicism which anticipate future Western influences on architecture in Belgrade.Template:SfnTemplate:Sfn
Following the ascension of Alexander Kara?or?evi?, Prince of Serbia, the building changed its purpose many times: it once housed the Belgrade Higher School, appellate court (Court of Cassation), a museum of art, a church museum, home for the elderly, and the Department for the Protection of the Monuments of Culture of Serbia. Nowadays, it is a part of the Museum of Belgrade and is used as an exhibition space. Permanent exhibit includes original furniture made in Ottoman Balkan style and many other styles of that time (Classicism, Biedermeier and Neo-baroque). Princess Ljubica's Residence was declared Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance in 1979, and it is protected by Republic of Serbia.
- Monument of Culture of Exceptional Importance
- Tourism in Serbia