Putney High School
Putney High School is an independent all-girls school in Putney, London. It is run by the Girls' Day School Trust, a union of 26 schools with 19,500 students and 3,500 staff.
Location and information
Formerly, the three school houses were Austen, Bronte and Eliot, named after well-known female authors, all of whom felt that their sex gave them a disadvantage and used pseudonyms when writing. George Eliot lived for a time in Holly Lodge, Southfields, a house within walking distance of the Putney High School site. As of September 2013, the school uses an updated system of four houses, Ferrier, Stark, Hepburn and Burton, named after influential women all of whom were nominated by the students (Kathleen Ferrier, Freya Stark, Audrey Hepburn and Beryl Burton).
The school is situated on Putney Hill, a short walk from East Putney tube station (District Line) and Putney mainline station (Waterloo- Hounslow/Teddington/Windsor/Weybridge). It is well-served by buses, the 93, 14, 39 and 85.
Good Schools Guide
According to the Good Schools Guide, the school maintains a "Positive, friendly but hardworking atmosphere with good balance of sport, art, music, etc. The girls seem fulfilled, confident and happy – well prepared for outside world."
The Headmistress of Putney High is Dr Denise Lodge.
The Head of the Junior Department is Joanna Wallace. This takes in years reception (4-5) to year six (10-11).
The school has strong links with Thames Rowing Club. It is very strong at sports, especially rowing, lacrosse, tennis, netball and athletics. The school also has links with Putney Lacrosse Club and recently won the GDST lacrosse rally at 1st team and U15 levels. The gymnastics team won the national competition in 2005.Template:Clarify The gymnastics U13 A team finished 4th in 2011.Template:Citation needed
The school motto is fortiter et recte, which means "bravely and rightly".
The staff and sixth form elect a team of head girls each year to assist with the successful running of the school community.
- 2011-12 Georgia Durham, Jazz Adamson, Lauren Cook and Charlotte Williams
- 2010-11 Georgie Davies, Ella Casson, Fiona Parker and Katharine Robson
- 2009-10 Anoushka Mehta, Margery Infield, Lily Beadle and Eleanor Wright
- 2008-9 Olivia Archibald, Brid Arnstein, Charlotte McCutcheon and Laura Shook
- 2007-8 Emily Clarke, Emily Rivett, Florence Ware and Francesca Gibbs
- 2006-7 Sarah Wickstead, Karen Tostee and Kristina Ravic
- 2005-6 Alice Newton, Jennifer Stanger and Katie Matthews
- 2004-5 Lottie Walter, Lucy Eastcott, Lizzie King
- 2003-4 Cressida Kinnear, Holly Derry-Evans
- 2001-2 Catherine Newton, Lucy Hidden and Annabel Walton
Notable former pupils
- Virginia Bottomley - Conservative Party politician
- Camilla Cavendish - journalist
- Olly Grender, Baroness Grender - Former Head of Communications for the Liberal Democrat Party
- Baroness Elizabeth Symons
- Melanie Phillips - journalist and author
- Sandie Okoro - Barrister and Global General Counsel, HSBC
- Olivia Walmsley - journalist
- Sophie Raworth - BBC TV newsreader
- Nicola Hicks - sculptor
- Madeleine Wickham - novelist published under the pseudonym of Sophie Kinsella
- Emily Young - sculptor
- Olivia Poulet - actress
- Aicha McKenzie - Choreographer and dancer, former gymnast
- http://www.putneyhigh.gdst.net/ Putney High Homepage]
- Profile at the Good Schools Guide
- Profile at MyDaughter