Quinta das Lágrimas
Quinta das Lágrimas (Template:IPA-pt) is an estate in Coimbra, Portugal. It was classified<ref name="IPPAR">Instituto Português do Património Arquitectónico Registry entry for Quinta das Lágrimas (retrieved March 16, 2007)</ref> in 1977 as an "Imóvel de Interesse Publico" (En: Building of Public Interest) by the IPPAR. It includes 12 ha(29.6 acres) of gardens and a palace that has been converted into a luxury hotel.
The origin of the estate is uncertain. It is known that it was a hunting ground for the Portuguese royal family and that it later belonged to the University of Coimbra and afterwards to a religious order. It was acquired by the Osório Cabral de Castro family in 1730,<ref name="IPPAR"/> by whose order the palace was built. In 1879<ref name="IPPAR"/> a large part of the palace was lost during a fire. It was rebuilt in the late nineteenth century by Miguel Osório Cabral de Castro, in a style different from that of the original.
The palace building has a central body and two lateral ones. The lateral bodies feature a balcony with a railing of square columns on their façade. To the right there is a chapel.
The "Fonte das Lágrimas" (En: Fountain of Tears), which according to the legend originated from the tears shed by Inês de Castro when she was killed, is located close to the spring identified by António de Vasconcelos, and which entry features a broken arch, probably from the fourteenth century.