Red Lion Square
Red Lion Square is a small square on the boundary of Bloomsbury and Holborn in London.Template:Sfn The square was laid out in 1684 by Nicholas Barbon,Template:Citation need taking its name from the Red Lion Inn.Template:Sfn According to some sources the bodies of three regicides - Oliver Cromwell, John Bradshaw and Henry Ireton - were placed in a pit on the site of the Square. By 1720 it was a fashionable area: the eminent judge Bernard Hale was a resident.
The centre-piece of the garden today is a statue by Ian Walters of Fenner Brockway, which was installed in 1986. There is also a memorial bust of Bertrand Russell. Conway Hall—which is the home of the South Place Ethical Society and the National Secular Society—opens on to the Square. On 15 June 1974 a meeting by the National Front in Conway Hall resulted in a protest by anti-fascist groups. The following disorder and police action left one student - Kevin Gately from the University of Warwick - dead.<ref name="bbcretro">Template:Cite news</ref>
The square today is home to the Royal College of Anaesthetists and the College of Emergency Medicine. Lamb's Conduit Street is nearby and the nearest underground station is Holborn.
The first headquarters of the Marshall, Faulkner & Co, which was founded by William Morris, was at 8 Red Lion Square.