Reedham railway station (London)
Reedham station is a railway station in the south of Purley in the London Borough of Croydon on the Tattenham Corner Line. The local area is residential and the station is near the A23 Brighton Road. The Brighton main line is adjacent, but is not served by this station.
It is sometimes referred to as Reedham (London) or as Reedham (Surrey) to distinguish it from another Reedham railway station in Norfolk.
Template:Unreferenced section The station opened as Reedham Halt on 1 March 1911. The halt was renamed as a station on 5 July 1936. The platforms were extended in 1982 to take eight-car trains in the days when a train had both a driver and a guard. However nowadays, due to lack of station CCTV to assist the driver to close the doors safely, trains without train-mounted external cameras are only permitted to open the doors on the first four carriages.
The station was named after the Reedham Asylum for Fatherless Children, founded by philanthropist Dr Andrew Reed in 1844, and about 300 metres away. The asylum was renamed Reedham Orphanage in 1904 and Reedham School in 1950. It closed in 1979, but the trust which ran it still occupies the original lodge (gatehouse) of the estate.
Late 2013 a footbridge is being installed along with platform resurfacing.
Planning details submitted by Network Rail.
The recent upgrades in Dec 2013 has resulted in reduced disabled access at the station.