Template:Infobox UK place Rickmansworth is a small town in south-west Hertfordshire, England, situated approximately Template:Convert northwest of central London and inside the perimeter of the M25 motorway. The town is mainly to the north of the Grand Union Canal (formerly the Grand Junction Canal) and the River Colne. The nearest large town is Watford, approximately Template:Convert to the east. Rickmansworth is the administrative seat of the Three Rivers District Council, the local authority named from the confluence of three rivers within its borders. The River Gade and the Grand Union Canal join the upper River Colne near Rickmansworth's eastern boundary and are joined by the River Chess near the town centre from where the enlarged Colne flows south to form a major tributary of the River Thames.
- 1 Toponymy
- 2 History
- 3 Transport
- 4 Economy
- 5 Education
- 6 Culture and sport
- 7 Public services
- 8 Filming: cinema and TV
- 9 Grand Union Canal
- 10 Notable residents
- 11 Scenes from Rickmansworth
- 12 References
- 13 See also
The name Rickmansworth comes from the Saxon name Ryckmer, the local landowner, and worth meaning a farm or stockade. In the Domesday Book of 1086 it was recorded as the Manor of Prichemaresworde. Other spellings include Rykemarwurthe (1119–46), Richemaresworthe (1180), Rykemerewrthe (1248), Richemereworthe (1259), Rikesmareswrth (1287) and Rikmansworth (1382) & Rykemerysworth (1418).
There was a settlement in this part of the Colne valley in the Stone age. Rickmansworth was one of five manors with which the great Abbey of St Albans had been endowed when founded in 793 by King Offa. Local tithes supported the abbey, which provided clergy to serve the people until the dissolution of the monasteries in 1539. Around the time of the Domesday Book, the population of "Prichemareworth" may have been about 200.
Cardinal Wolsey, in his capacity as Abbot of St Albans, held the Manor of le More in the valley. The manor house was replaced by the hill-top mansion Moor Park, which eventually became the residence of Admiral Lord Anson, who commissioned Capability Brown to remake the formal gardens, and in 1828 of the Barons Ebury; it is now the Golf Club House. The wider area, including Croxley Green, Moor Park, Batchworth, Mill End, West Hyde and Chorleywood, formed the original parish of Rickmansworth.
In 1851, the population had grown to 4,800, and the parish was divided. St Mary's Church serves the parish concentrated in the town and extending to Batchworth and parts of Moor Park. The town had a population of 14,571 recorded at the 2001 census.
The three rivers, the Colne, Chess and Gade, provided water for the watercress trade and power for corn milling, silk weaving, paper making and brewing, all long gone. Other industries have included leather-tanning, soft drinks, soya processing, laundry, straw-plaiting and stocking production. Now there are commercial offices and commuter homes, and the rivers, canal and flooded gravel pits provide for recreation.
West Mill, a water mill, existed at the time of the Domesday Survey. It was leased to the abbot and convent of St Albans by Ralph Bukberd for a term of years ending in 1539. In 1533, they leased it from the end of this term for twenty-six years to Richard Wilson of Watford. He was to keep in repair the mill and also two millstones, Template:Convert thick, and Template:Convert in breadth. The mill was leased in 1544 to William Hutchinson, yeoman of the spicery, and Janet his wife for their lives.<ref name="autogenerated1">Template:Cite book</ref> It afterwards came to John Wilson, and was granted in 1576–77 to Richard Master.<ref name="autogenerated1"/> There was also a water-mill called Batchworth Mill, and a fishery called Blacketts Mill in Rickmansworth.<ref name="autogenerated1"/> Batchworth Mill was later used as a cotton mill, but was bought in 1820 by Messrs. John Dickinson & Co., and converted into paper mills, now the site of Affinity Water.<ref name="autogenerated1"/> Scotsbridge Mill was also productive but now is home to a restaurant with the unusual feature of a salmon run. During the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries many of the principal inhabitants were described as 'clothiers,' from which it may be inferred that the manufacture of cloth was at one time carried on in the parish, but this industry has long since ceased. There were also silk and flock mills here, described in 1808 as recently built.
A long-running dispute over water levels in the Batchford area, following construction of the Grand Junction Canal, was resolved in 1825, when an Template:Convert obelisk was erected in a pond, to act as a water gauge. It records the agreement made between the canal company, John Dickinson the miller at Batchworth Mill, and R. Williams of Moor Park the landowner.
Lord Ebury's railway
In July 1860 Lord Ebury obtained powers to construct a 4.5 mile single-track railway line between Watford and Rickmansworth, which opened in October 1862. Rickmansworth (Church Street) station was opposite the church to the south of the town with interchange sidings with the nearby Grand Union Canal. The line had stations at Watford Junction and Watford High Street and a depot in Watford. A further Parliamentary authorisation was obtained a year later to construct an extension from Rickmansworth to connect with the Great Western Railway's Uxbridge branch, but this was never realised.
Despite hopes the railway would bring economic development and serve the factories and warehouses that had developed along the Grand Union Canal, it was Watford that grew at a faster pace and drew business from Rickmansworth. The railway was dogged with financial problems and a further Act of Parliament in 1863 authorised the issue of further shares to the value of £30,000 (£40,000 worth had already been issued). The service consisted of five trains each way. The line was worked from the outset by the London and North Western Railway (LNWR), which paid the WRR 50% of the gross earnings.
The railway was never financially successful and the official receiver was called in only four years after opening. The company attempted to remedy its financial problems by opening several freight branches, the most notable being to the Croxley printers and to the Grand Union Canal at Croxley Green. The company was absorbed by the burgeoning LNWR whose station it shared at Watford Junction in 1881.
Rickmansworth grew dramatically during the Victorian era and in the 1920s and 1930s as part of Metro-land, due to the extension of Metropolitan Railway, and became a commuter town.
Chiltern Main Line diesel-express trains from Marylebone station, LondonTemplate:Spaced ndashvia Harrow-on-the HillTemplate:Spaced ndashto Aylesbury and fast, electric Metropolitan trains from the City of LondonTemplate:Spaced ndashvia Baker StreetTemplate:Spaced ndashto Amersham-on-the-Hill stop at Rickmansworth station.
Junctions 17 and 18 of the M25 motorway are within Rickmansworth's boundaries giving access to Heathrow Airport, and the national motorway network.
The agricultural co-operative, Quality Milk Producers has its headquarters in Scotsbridge House as does the English Guernsey Cattle Society, the Jersey Cattle Society, the UK Holstein Society, the British Friesian Breeders Club, the Milk Development Council and the Centre for Dairy Information.
The former police station on Rectory Road was purchased by Lidl in 2013. The residents association, the RDRA oppose the proposal for a new store.
- Arnett Hills JMI School
- Rickmansworth Park JMI School
- Shepherds Primary School
- St. John's Catholic Primary School
- St. Mary's C of E Primary School
- St. Peter's C of E Voluntary Aided Primary School
- Rickmansworth School
- Royal Masonic School for Girls
- St. Clement Danes School
- St Joan of Arc Catholic School
- The Reach Free School
Culture and sport
Watersmeet is a 515 seat theatre complex owned by the Three Rivers District Council in the town centre. Its auditorium can be transformed from a raked theatre to a flat floor for performances in the round, dancing, cabaret, weddings, indoor markets and craft fairs. The Rickmansworth Players (affiliated to NODA) is a well-established amateur dramatics society that performs musicals and plays on a regular basis. Rickmansworth Historical Society meets monthly from September to June in the Cloisters Hall.
Rickmansworth is often shortened to "Ricky", as used in the town's annual "Ricky Week" celebrations which occur in May. The town's canal history is remembered annually at the end of Ricky Week with the Rickmansworth Festival, organised by Rickmansworth Waterways Trust. The annual Ricky Road Run takes place with more than 500 runners.
Until 2010, an annual "Victorian Evening" was held in the town centre in November, but in 2011 changed to a "Starlight Evening" inspired by the reference to Rickmansworth in the first page of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams: "And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small cafe in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get nailed to anything."
The Aquadrome covers Template:Convert and includes the Aquadrome Local Nature Reserve, Batchworth and Bury Lakes, open grassland, areas of woodland, car parking and a children's play area. Its boundaries are the River Colne to the north, the Grand Union Canal to the east and south and Stockers Lake to the west. In July 2009, it received a Green Flag Award for parks and open spaces which meet high standards. A café opened earlier the same year.
The lakes are old gravel quarries filled with water and stocked with fish but only Batchworth Lake is available for fishing. Some gravel from the site was used to build Wembley Stadium in 1923. Batchworth Lake is popular for water skiing events and hosts the Rickmansworth Water Ski Club. Bury Lake is home to BLYM, a sailing club and RYA-recognised teaching establishment. The larger Stockers Lake to the west is also a nature reserve.
- Rickmansworth Cricket Club was founded in 1787 and is one of the oldest recorded clubs in England. Its clubhouse was built in 1921 by Sir William Francis Reckitt - a member of the Reckitt and Colman Mustard dynasty. Rickmansworth Sports Club runs five teams in the Saracens Hertfordshire Cricket League. Over the years, other sports clubs have moved into the grounds, including Chess Valley Rugby Football Club and Rickmansworth & Chess Valley Hockey Clubs.
- Rickmansworth Golf Course is adjacent to Moor Park golf course.
- Rickmansworth Lawn Tennis Club also hosts Rickmansworth Table Tennis Club matches.
- Rickmansworth Water Ski Club is located on Batchworth Lake.
- The William Penn Leisure Centre has an indoor swimming pool and sports facilities.
- Rickmansworth hosts a Sub-Aqua Club.
In 1897, a police station opened in the High Street adjoining the fire station. The police station is located in Three Rivers House.
Filming: cinema and TV
- The Adventures of Black Beauty (1972)
- Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
- Withnail and I (1986)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- Midsomer Murders (2009-2012)
- Ashes to Ashes (TV series), a spin-off from the BBC drama Life on Mars (2009)
- Harry and Paul (2010)
- The First Men in the Moon (2010)
- Foyle's War (Lesson in Murder)
- Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (film) (Pig report scene, filmed at Stockers Farm)
- Dick Turpin (TV series) (Starring Richard O'Sullivan, filmed at Stockers Farm)
- Genevieve (film) (Genevieve 'broke down' at the top of Batchworth Hill, by the gates to Moor Park)
- Metro-land (Television documentary) (1973)
- Doctor Who
- Lewis (2012)
- Harry Enfield's Television Programme (80's)
Grand Union Canal
- Rickmansworth Canal with barge ca 1895.jpg
Batchworth Lock No 81,Grand Union canal at Rickmansworth with a barge framed by a bridge (circa 1895)
- Batchworth Lock No 81, Grand Union Canal - geograph.org.uk - 1505248.jpg
Batchworth Lock No 81, Grand Union Canal (1977)
- Grand Union Canal in Rickmansworth - geograph.org.uk - 603417.jpg
Grand Union Canal in Rickmansworth
- William Penn (founder of Pennsylvania)
- Harvey Fellows (Cricketer)
- David Urquhart (MP, Russophile and advocate for Turkish Baths)
- Guy Tussaud and Joseph Theodore Tussaud (of the Waxwork family), buried at Rickmansworth Cemetery, Chorleywood Road.
- George Eliot (pen-name of Mary Anne Evans – The Elms, 1875)
- Starr Wood (1870–1944, cartoonist, buried at Rickmansworth Cemetery, Chorleywood Road)
- Countess Tolstoy (buried at Woodcock Hill cemetery, Rickmansworth)
- Val Doonican (ex-The Drive, Rickmansworth)
- George Carey Foster R.S. (Chemist, Physicist and First Principal of University College London)
- Guy Calthrop aka Sir Calthrop Guy Spencer Calthrop, 1st Baronet (26 March 1870 - 23 February 1919)
- George Orwell (pen-name of Eric Blair, author, who spent some summers in Rickmansworth)
- Cardinal Wolsey (Manor of the More, 1522-1530
- Robert Carey, 1st Earl of Monmouth (Moor Park, 1631–1639, buried at Rickmansworth Parish Church)
- Francis Russell, 2nd Earl of Bedford (Moor Park 1576)
- Edward Russell, 3rd Earl of Bedford (Moor Park 1585-1627)
- William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke (Moor Park 1627)
- Sir Thomas Fotherley (Manor of Rickmansworth 1632-1649, knighted by Charles I)
- Franklin baronets (Bought Moor Park and Manor of Rickmansworth,1655)
- Henry Carey, 2nd Earl of Monmouth (Buried at Rickmansworth Parish Church)
- James Butler, 1st Duke of Ormonde (Moor Park 1664)
- Thomas Butler, 6th Earl of Ossory (Made Lord Butler of Moore Park in 1666)
- James Scott, 1st Duke of Monmouth (Illegitimate son of Charles II, Moor Park 1670 – executed 1685))
- George Anson, 1st Baron Anson (Admiral Lord Anson, Moor Park c1752)
- Sir Lawrence Dundas, 1st Baronet (Moor Park 1763)
- Thomas Dundas, 1st Baron Dundas (Moor Park, sold 1785)
- Robert Grosvenor, 1st Marquess of Westminster (Moor Park, 1828–1845)
- Robert Grosvenor, 1st Baron Ebury (Moor Park, 1846 and The Bury,1879 to 1893)
- Robert Grosvenor, 2nd Baron Ebury (Moor Park, 1893–1918)
Scenes from Rickmansworth
- Rickmansworth 118.jpg
- St Mary's Parish Church, Rickmansworth, Herts.jpg
St Mary's Parish Church
- Old Redbrick buildings, Rickmansworth - geograph.org.uk - 83408.jpg
The Coach and Horses Public House
- Rickmansworth, Our Lady Help of Christians RC Church - geograph.org.uk - 603679.jpg
Our Lady Help of Christians RC Church
- St Joan of Arc School (The Elms), Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire.JPG
St Joan of Arc School (The Elms)
- Moor Park Mansion.jpg
Moor Park Mansion
- The Old Vicarage, Church Street, Rickmansworth, Herts.jpg
The Old Vicarage
- Rickmansworth, The Bury - geograph.org.uk - 1244958.jpg
- The Lion and the Eagle which used to top the War Memorial, now in the public gardens behind the Council Offices.jpg
The Lion and the Eagle which used to top the War Memorial, now in the public gardens behind the Council Offices
- Boats Stockers lake - geograph.org.uk - 379642.jpg
Bury Lake, part of the Aquadrome
- Grand Union Canal
- Rickmansworth station
- Watford and Rickmansworth Railway
- W.H. Walker and Brothers
- Past Times:This is Rickmansworth 2005
- Three Rivers Museum, Rickmansworth
- Rickmansworth Historical Society
- Watford Observer Historical Tour of Rickmansworth
- Local historian's site
- Local news site
- Pictures of Rickmansworth
- Starr Wood, Cartoonist 1870-1944,
- Starr Wood Grave
- George Carey Foster R.S.(1835-1919)