Roman Catholic Diocese of Brentwood
Template:Infobox diocese The Roman Catholic Diocese of Brentwood is a diocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic church in England. The diocese is a suffragan of the Archdiocese of Westminster.
The diocese covers the traditional county of Essex, an area of 3,959 km² comprising the non-metropolitan County of Essex, the unitary authorities of Southend-on-Sea and Thurrock, and the London boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, Havering, Newham, Redbridge and Waltham Forest, matching Essex's historic boundaries and the Anglican Diocese of Chelmsford. The see is in the town of Brentwood where the seat is located at the Cathedral Church of Saint Mary and Saint Helen.
The diocese was erected on 20 July 1917 from the Archdiocese of Westminster. The current bishop is the Right Reverend Thomas McMahon, the sixth Bishop of Brentwood.
Past and Present Ordinaries
- Bernard Nicholas Ward (appointed on 20 July 1917 – died in office on 21 January 1920)
- Arthur Doubleday (appointed on 7 May 1920 – died in office on 23 January 1951)
- George Andrew Beck, A.A. (succeeded on 23 January 1951 – translated to the Diocese of Salford on 28 November 1955)
- Bernard Patrick Wall (appointed on 30 November 1955 – retired on 14 April 1969)
- Patrick Joseph Casey (appointed on 2 December 1969 – resigned on 12 December 1979)
- Thomas McMahon (current ordinary, appointed on 16 June 1980)