Salzburg Residenz is a palace located at Domplatz and Residenzplatz in the old part of Salzburg, Austria. For centuries the Archbishops of Salzburg resided at the Salzburg Residenz and used the palace to present and represent their political status.<ref name="salzburg-burgen-palace">Template:Cite web</ref> Today the Salzburg Residenz palace is a museum and one of the most impressive attractions in the city.<ref name="salzburg-burgen-palace"/>
The earliest recorded reference to the bishop's palace was in a document dated 1232. Construction began under Archbishop Konrad I. In the sixteenth century, several changes and additions to the structure were made. The bishop's palace took on its present appearance under the auspices of Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau (1587–1612).<ref name="salzburg-burgen-history">Template:Cite web</ref> In the early seventeenth century, work began on the south wing, which included the addition of the large staircase and the Carabinieri-Saal, a section that connected the palace to the Franziskanerkirche and a large courtyard.<ref name="salzburg-burgen-history"/>
The successors of Wolf Dietrich continued to expand and refine the palace through to the end of the eighteenth century. Throughout the centuries, the palace served as the archbishops' residence, as well as a place of public gatherings and state affairs, all taking place in a setting that reflected power and grandeur.<ref name="salzburg-burgen-history"/>
In 1919, a plan to assemble an art gallery was proposed by the Residenzmuseum. Planning for the Residenzgalerie was completed in 1922 by the official curator of Salzburg, Eduard Hütte.<ref name="residenz">Template:Cite web</ref> In 1923, the Residenzgalerie was opened, intended to replace the art collection of the prince-archbishops, which had been lost during the Napoleonic wars in the early nineteenth century.<ref name="residenz"/> It was also intended to support a planned academy of art, as well as promote tourism.<ref name="residenz"/>
Today, the Salzburg Residenz houses the Residenzgalerie, which presents paintings from the sixteenth to the eighteenth century, and Austrian paintings from the nineteenth century.
The wing of the prince archiepiscopal Salzburg Residence called „Wallistrakt“ is a part of its vast complex. It is a composition of various architectural components built during different construction stages. The apartment in the Wallistrakt hasn't been dealt with as a part of the prince archiepiscopal Residence in literature, due to several re-constructions and changes of proprietors.
The so-called „Hofbogengebäude“ that was built during the first constructional stage, starting in 1604, was originally a place of accommodation for the apartment of the prince archbishop, Wolf Dietrich of Raitenau. It was put up in the medieval „Frohnhof“, the forecourt of the cathedral, where there was enough space to quickly build a new living unit for the prince archbishop without disturbing the procedures of the Residence or having to redeem civic houses. After the Hofbogengebäude was completed in 1606, the medieval Residence was open to further renovation and modernization.
To the north, the Hofbogengebäude was connected directly to the hall called „Carabinierisaal“, the sala grande of the Salzburg Residence. From there, the apartment on the second floor extended southwards to where the prince archbishop´s private chambers were located in the very south of the building. A richly stuccoed staircase led from there to a garden hall, opening towards the garden called „Hofgärtl“ that was located in the west. This giardino segreto was surrounded by a high garden wall. The assignment to the hall as sala terrena, which today is not legible any more.
In literature, a connection between the Hofbogengebäude and the Venetian architect Vincenzo Scamozzi is repeatedly established. Scamozzi demonstrably stayed in Salzburg during 1603/1604 to draw up a project for Wolf Dietrich of Raitenau, including a new cathedral as well as the renovation and extension of the episcopal residence. Regardless, the five passages planned for the Hofbogengebäude could unmistakably be put in context with Scarmozzi's draft of the cathedral. However, there must have been a change of plan (or planner) during the building phase between 1604 and 1606, as it shows in the modification of the original sketch of the facade. Already during the time of Markus Sittikus of Hohenems (1612–1619), Wolf Dietrich´s successor, the Hofgärtl and the sala terrena must have been conveyed. At that time, trilateral cloisters with a storey on top were erected within the garden walls, and the sala terrena was walled in.
- Salzburg Residenz 1.jpg
- Salzburg Residenz 9.jpg
- Salzburg Residenz 7.jpg
- Salzburg Residenz 2.jpg
- Salzburg Residenz 4.jpg