San Pancrazio

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:About

File:Q12 Gianicolense - S. Pancrazio 1.JPG
Basilica of San Pancrazio, facade

The church of San Pancrazio (Template:Lang-en; Template:Lang-la) is a Roman Catholic ancient basilica and titular church founded by Pope Symmachus in the 6th century in Rome, Italy. It stands in via S. Pancrazio, westward beyond the Porta San Pancrazio that opens in a stretch of the Aurelian Wall on the Janiculum.

The Cardinal Priest of the Titulus S. Pancratii is Antonio Cañizares Llovera. Among the previous titulars, Pope Paul IV (15 January-24 September 1537) and Pope Clement VIII (18 December 1585-30 January 1592).

History

The basilica was built by Pope Symmachus (498-514), on the place where the body of the young martyr Saint Pancras of Rome, or Pancratius, had been buried. In the 17th century, it was given to the Discalced Carmelites, who completely remodeled it. The church underwent further rebuilding in the 19th century, but it retains its plain brick facade of the late 15th century, with the arms of Pope Innocent VIII.<ref name="Touring Club Italiano 1965 p. 455">Touring Club Italiano, Roma e dintorni (Milan, 1965) p. 455.</ref>

Below the church there are huge catacombs, the Catacombe di S. Pancrazio or di Ottavilla. Entrance is next to the small Museo di S. Pancrazio with fragments of sculpture and pagan and early Christian inscriptions.<ref name="Touring Club Italiano 1965 p. 455"/>

File:San Pancrazio - ingresso 1536.JPG
Entrance avenue through the forecourt

Cardinal-Priests of San Pancrazio

Template:Colbegin

  • Ferdinando Ponzetti (1517-1527)
  • Francesco Corner (1528-1534)
  • Gian Pietro Carafa (1537)
  • Federico Cesi (1545-1550)
  • Juan Álvarez de Toledo (1551-1553)
  • Miguel de Silva (1553)
  • Giovanni Antonio Capizucchi (1556-1562)
  • Bernardo Navagero (1562)
  • Stanislaw Hosius (o Hoe, o Hosz) (1562-1565)
  • Simon de Nigro Pasca (1565)
  • Tolomeo Gallio (1565-1568)
  • Gianpaolo Della Chiesa (1568-1575)
  • Sede vacante (1575-1586)
  • Ippolito Aldobrandini (1586-1592)
  • Girolamo Mattei (1592-1603)
  • Pietro Aldobrandini (1604-1605)
  • Domenico Ginnasi (1605-1606)
  • Ludovico de Torres (1606-1609)
  • Sede vacante (1609-1617)
  • Gabriel Trejo y Paniagua (1617-1621)
  • Cosimo de Torres (1623-1641)
  • Gaspare Mattei (1643-1648)
  • Sede vacante (1648-1653)
  • Francesco Maidalchini (1653-1654)
  • Carlo Gualterio (1654-1667)
  • Giacomo Franzoni (1670-1673)
  • Pietro Vidoni (1673-1681)
  • Antonio Pignatelli (1681-1691)
  • Bandino Panciatichi (1691-1710)
  • Sede vacante (1710-1721)
  • Hugo Damian von Schönborn-Buchheim (1721-1726)
  • Vincenzo LUdovico Gotti, O.P. (1728-1738)
  • Sede vacante (1738-1743)
  • Gioacchino Bessozzi, O.Cist. (1743-1744)
  • Federico Marcello Lante Montefeltro Della Rovere (1745-1753)
  • Giuseppe Maria Feroni (1753-1764)
  • Sede vacante (1764-1824)
  • Giovanni Battista Bussi (1824-1844)
  • Sede vacante (1844-1848)
  • Carlo Vizzardelli (1848-1851)
  • Clément Villecourt (1855-1867)
  • Josip Mihalovic (1877-1891)
  • Francesco Ricci Paracciani (1891-1894)
  • Achille Manara (1895-1906)
  • Aristide Rinaldini (1907-1920)
  • Giovanni Bonzano (1922-1924)
  • Lorenzo Lauri (1927-1941)
  • Sede Vacante (1941-1946)
  • Carlos Carmelo de Vasconcelos Motta (1946-1982)
  • José Lebrún Moratinos (1983-2001)
  • Antonio Cañizares Llovera (2006-)

Template:Colend

Notes

Template:Reflist

External links

Template:Coord