Sant'Atanasio

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox religious building The Church of Saint Athanasius (Template:Lang-it, Template:Lang-la) is a Roman Catholic titular church in Rome, built for use of a Greek College for the formation of Catholic clergy in the Eastern Rite, upon the formation of the Congregation of the Greeks by Pope Gregory XIII. In 1872 the church was entrusted to the Congregation for the Oriental Churches. On the 22 February 1962 Pope John XXIII granted it a titular church as a seat for Cardinals. At present the Titulus San Athanasii is held by Lucian Cardinal Mure?an.

Architecture

The facade is placed between two towers covered with domes, which is divided into two horizontal bands by a marble ledge. Either side of a large window is written an inscription, one in Greek and the other in Latin in honor of Saint Athanasius. On the left stands a tower clock, donated by Pope Clement XIV in 1771, which faces the palace of the Pontifical Greek College.

List of Cardinal Priests

  • Gabriel Acacius Coussa (22 March 1962 - 29 July 1962)
  • Josyf Ivanovyce Slipyj (25 February 1965 - 7 September 1984)
  • Lucian Mure?an (18 February 2012 - )

References

Template:Commons Template:Reflist