Santa Maria in Vado

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Santa Maria in Vado is a church located on Via Brogovado number 3 in Ferrara, Italy. The church derives its name from a guado or fording (vado in dialect) that was located nearby. A church at the site was documented since the tenth century, but on Easter of 1171, a miracle occurred when blood spouted from the eucharist during consecration. This made the church an object of pilgrimage. Reconstruction was started in 1495 under the patronage of Ercole de' Roberti under the designs of Biagio Rossetti. The church has a number of paintings by Carlo Bononi, Camillo Filippi, and Domenico Mona.

thumb

Sources

Template:Coord