Schackgalerie

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

The Schackgalerie is a museum in Munich. It is one of the noted galleries in this city. The museum is under supervision of the Bavarian State Picture Collection. thumb

Collection

In 1855, Adolf Friedrich von Schack settled at Munich, where he was made member of the academy of sciences. Here he began to collect a splendid gallery of pictures, containing masterpieces of Romanticism with painters such as Anselm Feuerbach, Moritz von Schwind, Arnold Böcklin, Franz von Lenbach, Carl Spitzweg, Carl Rottmann, etc., and which, though bequeathed by him to the Emperor William II, still remains at Munich.

A building designed by Max Littmann (1907) next to the former diplomatic mission of Prussia in the Prinzregentenstrasse still houses the museum since the emperor decided to keep the collection in Munich.

External links

Gallery

Template:Navigation museums Munich-Lehel Template:Coord



Template:Bavaria-struct-stub