Soho Square is a square in Soho, London, England, with a park and garden area at its centre that dates back to 1681. It was originally called King Square after Charles II, whose statue stands in the square. At the centre of the garden, there is a distinctive half-timbered gardener's hut. During the summer, it hosts open-air free concerts.
Built in the late 1670s, Soho Square was in its early years one of the most fashionable places to live in London. It was originally called King's Square, for King Charles II. A statue of Charles II was carved by Danish sculptor Caius Gabriel Cibber in 1681 and placed at the center of the Square. By the early 19th century, the statue was described as being 'in a most wretched mutilated state; and the inscriptions on the base of the pedestal quite illegible'.<ref name=Cibber>"Soho Square Area: Portland Estate: Soho Square Garden" in Survey of London volumes 33 and 34 (1966) St Anne Soho, pp. 51-53. Date accessed: 12 January 2008.</ref> In 1875, it was removed during alterations in the square by T. Blackwell, of Crosse and Blackwell, the condiment firm, who gave it for safekeeping to his friend, artist Frederick Goodall, with the intention that it might be restored.<ref name=Cibber/> Goodall placed the statue on an island in his lake at Grim's Dyke, where it remained when dramatist W. S. Gilbert purchased the property in 1890, and there it stayed after Gilbert's death in 1911. In her will, Lady Gilbert directed that the statue be returned, and it was restored to Soho Square in 1938.
Between 1778 and 1801 the Square was home to the infamous White House brothel.
Wilfrid Voynich had his antiquarian bookshop at 1 Soho Square from 1902. The publisher Rupert Hart-Davis was at No. 36 from c1947.
Fauconberg House was on the north side of the square until its demolition in 1924.<ref name="WeinrebKeay2011">Template:Cite book</ref>
Two of the original houses, nos. 10 and 15, still stand. At nos. 8 and 9 is the French Protestant Church, built in 1891-3.
Number 22 was home to British Movietone<ref name="66 Years ago: Movietone News, the first days">Template:Cite web</ref> and Kay (West End) Film Laboratories,<ref name="British Movietonews – the process from idea to screen">Template:Cite web</ref> having been re-built to its current form between 1913-1914.<ref name="British History Online: Soho Square Area, Portland Estate, No. 22 Soho Square">Template:Cite web</ref>
For almost forty years, beginning in 1955, Soho Square was the official headquarters of world-renowned animator Richard Williams.
The square is also home to St. Patrick's Church a large Roman Catholic Parish church that features extensive catacombs that spread deep under the Square and further afield.
Streets running off of the square, from north clockwise, are Soho Street, Sutton Row, Greek Street, Batemans Buildings, Frith Street and Carlisle Street.
In the book A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens, Soho Square is where Lucie and her father, Doctor Manette, reside.
In the novel Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell' by Susanna Clarke, the eponymous Mr Norrell moves to Soho Square form Yorkshire.
The Soho Square garden contains a bench that commemorates the late singer Kirsty MacColl, who wrote the song "Soho Square" for her album Titanic Days. After her death in 2000, fans bought a memorial bench in her honour, inscribing the lyrics: "One day I'll be waiting there / No empty bench in Soho Square".
- Tottenham Court Road tube station
- Oxford Street, to the North
- Charing Cross Road, to the East
- Greek Street, to the South
- Manor House, 21 Soho Square