It is immediately north of Victoria Park and the area centred on Victoria Park Road and Lauriston Road. Sometimes known as Victoria Park Village, particularly by estate agents, to distinguish the residential area from the rest of Hackney.
In Tudor times, South Hackney consisted of two small settlements. One around the modern Grove and Lauriston Roads; the other where Grove Street and Well Street meet. There were two moated houses, the one on the north side of Well Street belonging to the Knights Hospitaller in 1416. The house survived into the 18th century, but by then it was in decline and the tenants included chimney sweeps. This is commemorated by the name of the Two Black Boys public house.<ref>Tudor Hackney at the National Archives accessed 31 October 2006</ref>
In Church Crescent, near the church are six almshouses, created by a bequest from William Monger in 1669, and funded by land on Hackney Marshes. This land subsequently came into the control of Sir John Cass. The almshouses were rebuilt in 1849, with funds from Sir John Cass's Foundation.<ref><cite>Hackney: Charities for the Poor, A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 10: Hackney (1995), pp. 166-72 Date accessed: 31 October 2006.</ref>
Victoria Park was laid out between 1842–46, the large Victorian villas that characterise this area were built soon after. South Hackney originally had a chapel of ease, but became an independent parish in 1825, with the parish church of St John the Baptist erected in 1848.<ref><cite>Hackney in 1878 accessed 30 October 2006</ref>
The area is well served by shops, restaurants and public houses.
Transport and locale
Template:Geographic Location thumb.]] There are no London Underground stations in the district, but Mile End tube station, a mile to the south is served by the Hammersmith & City, District and Central lines.