South Hampstead railway station
Template:Use dmy dates Template:Use British English Template:Infobox London station South Hampstead railway station is on Loudoun Road in the London Borough of Camden. It is about 500 metres south west of Swiss Cottage tube station. It opened in 1879 as "Loudon Road station" and acquired its present name in 1922. Two platforms on the Euston to Watford DC Line remain; those on the Slow Main lines were largely demolished in the 1960s. During the West Coast Main Line electrification the original LNWR street building was replaced by one in the 1960s "brick lavatory" style and a new station footbridge was constructed. Traces of the removed station canopies and older footbridge can be seen in the brickwork of the retaining walls on both sides of the line.
South Hampstead station was evocatively described by Sir John Betjeman in his First and Last Loves, 1952.
The typical service is three trains per hour to London Euston, and three trains per hour to Watford Junction, calling at all stations, although this reduces to two trains per hour in the late evenings and on Sundays.
London bus route 31 and night route N28 and N31.
- South Hampstead stn look south.JPG
Platforms looking southbound, towards the tunnel between here and the Primrose Hill area
- South Hampstead stn look north.JPG
Platforms looking north, with the AC tracks (no platforms) visible on the far left
- South Hampstead stn signage.JPG
Signage in Overground colours (temporary as of summer 2008)
- Unit 313102 at South Hampstead.JPG
Class 313 unit 313102 calls at the station with an unusual Stratford service, during the North London Line engineering works (September to November 2008).