South Wimbledon tube station
Template:Use dmy dates Template:Use British English Template:Infobox London station South Wimbledon, originally South Wimbledon (Merton), is a London Underground station in south-west London. The station is on the Northern Line, situated between Colliers Wood and Morden stations. The station is the southernmost station on the London Underground network with platforms below ground. It is located on the corner of Merton High Street (A238) and Morden Road (A219). South Wimbledon is on the boundary between Travelcard Zone 3 and Zone 4.
The station was designed by Charles Holden and was opened on 13 September 1926 as part of the Morden extension of the City & South London Railway (now part of the Northern Line).
South Wimbledon station is not actually in Wimbledon but was given this name as it was thought that Wimbledon had a higher social standing than its actual location of Merton. On the original plan it had the name "Merton Grove". For geographical accuracy, the station was originally named "South Wimbledon (Merton)" and it appeared as such on early tube maps and on the original station platform signage (although not on the station building at street level). The "(Merton)" part of the name gradually fell out of use.
London Bus routes 57, 93, 131, 152, 219, 470 and Night bus route N155 serve the station.
Morden Road Tramlink route 3 stop is within walking distance.
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
- More pictures of this station