Southall Railway Centre
Southall Railway Centre is a railway heritage centre at Southall in west London, near to Southall railway station and the Grand Union Canal. It is run by the GWR Preservation Group Limited (GWRPG).
There has been a locomotive shed at Southall since 1859. Originally a Great Western Railway shed (Code: SHL), it was rebuilt as a six-road shed in 1884. Demolished in 1953, it was replaced by a more modern British Railways constructed steam shed (Code: 81C). Southall was the last London steam depot on the Western Region of British Railways, outlasting Old Oak Common and finally closing to steam in December 1965.
The depot was later used for DMU maintenance for ten years before final operational closure under British Railways. From 1993 to 1998, it was use as a base for the electrification programme for the Heathrow Express.
Currently the site, now referred to as the Southall Railway Centre, is used by three independent groups:
- Locomotive Services: backed by Jeremy Hosking and encompassing the Royal Scot Locomotive and General Trust, where volunteers can contribute to the preservation and restoration of mainline locomotives
- West Coast Railway Company: operational base for several of its preserved mainline-registered steam locomotives
- Great Western Railway Preservation Group
- GWR 5101 Class 2-6-2T No. 4110 Built in 1936.
- GWR 5700 Class 0-6-0PT No.9682 Built in 1949. Boiler being re-tubed, March 2013.<ref name="gwrpg1">Template:Cite web</ref>
- Peckett and Sons 0-4-0ST No. 2100 William Murdoch Built in 1949.
- Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns 0-4-0ST No. 7386 Birkenhead Built in 1948.
- AEC 4wDM Shunter
- Ruston Hornsby Class 165 DS 0-4-0DM No. AD251 Francis Baily of Thatcham (flameproof diesel locomotive, ex-RAF Welford)
- Baguley Drewry Railcar 4wDMR No. AD9117
Some of these locomotives are at Southall, some are stored at other locations. There is also an assortment of goods and passenger rolling stock at Southall.