Spandau Synagogue was a synagogue at 12 Lindenufer<ref name="Flame"/> in Spandau, Berlin. It was also known as Spandauer Vereinssynagoge (i.e. Spandau private synagogue).
The synagogue was built in 1894–1895<ref name="Flame"/> and was destroyed on 9 November 1938 (Kristallnacht) when it was set on fire.<ref name= "Kristallnacht">Template:Cite book</ref><ref name="Zeller">Frederic Zeller, who was then a Jewish teenager in Spandau, gives an eyewitness account of the burning of the synagogue in his memoir: Template:Cite book</ref> The ruins were removed, probably in 1942.<ref name="Flame">Template:Cite web</ref>
In 1844 there were only six Jewish families in Spandau. They held services in rented rooms in local restaurants. Late in 1894 Berlin-based architects Wilhelm Albert Cremer and Richard Wolffenstein began the construction of the community's first and only synagogue, which was dedicated by the Spandau Jewish community on 15 September 1895 in the presence of Spandau's Mayor, Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Koeltze (1852–1939), and other local dignatories. The building, on a street corner with facades on two sides, was crowned by an octagonal tower.
On 6 December 1916 Arthur Löwenstamm became the synagogue's first permanent rabbi. He took up his duties on 1 April 1917 and continued until the autumn of 1938.
At the initiative of the Spandau Borough Council, a memorial tablet was unveiled in 1988 on the site of the former synagogue.<ref name="German Wikipedia">Template:Cite web</ref> A memorial plaque was placed on the pavement, in front of Löwenstamm's former home at Feldstraße 11, in Spandau, on 9 November 2005.
Memorial to the Jews from Spandau who were deported and murdered
In a park opposite the site of the former synagogue there is a memorial, designed by Ruth Golan and Kay Zareh,<ref name="Berlinische Gallery 83">Template:Cite book</ref> to the Jews from Spandau who were deported and murdered by the Nazis.
The memorial symbolises a building and tower that have been violently torn down, with one now behind the other. Through the split tower an eternal light shines as a symbol of remembrance of the dead.<ref name="Berlinische Gallery 28">Template:Cite book</ref>
In 2012, the memorial was extended by a wall on which the names of deported and murdered Jews from Spandau are recorded. This was also designed by Ruth Golan and Kay Zareh. The project was supported by the Evangelical Church of Spandau district, the district office of Spandau and private sponsors. The memorial was inaugurated on 9 November 2012.
The German inscription on the memorial reads: "This memorial commemorates the suffering of Spandau's citizens of Jewish faith during the Terror of the National Socialists. Not far from this point, at Lindenufer 12, stood the Jewish house of worship, which was destroyed in 1938."
The memorial is located on Lindenufer (Altstadt Spandau) at ? 52 ° 32 '13 " N , 13 ° 12 '28 " E.