St. George's Cathedral, London
Template:Distinguish Template:Other places3 Template:Infobox church St George's Cathedral is an Antiochian Orthodox church in Albany Street, St Pancras, in the London Borough of Camden. Built to the designs of James Pennethorne, it was consecrated as an Anglican place of worship called Christ Church in 1837. It became an Orthodox cathedral in 1989.
The building, designed by James Pennethorne, stands on the corner of Redhill Street (formerly Edward Street) and Albany Street. It is not strictly orientated, its ceremonial east end, with the altar, facing slightly west of north.<ref name=survey/> It is rectangular in plan, and built of brick with stucco and stone dressings, its four corners emphasised by wide tower-like features, projecting slightly beyond the main lines of the walls. The architecture is broadly classical in style. A deep stucco entablature runs around the whole building, with a simple brick parapet above it. The windows are round-headed.<ref name=survey/> There is a tower above the entrance, topped by an octagonal spire.<ref name=survey/> The steeple is unusually small in comparison with the main body of the church.<ref name=anglic/>
It was built as an Anglican church to serve the largely working class district of Cumberland Market.<ref name=anglic/> Consecrated on 13 July 1837,<ref name=survey/> it established itself firmly within the high church Oxford Movement.<ref name=anglic/> Its first incumbent, William Dodsworth, previously of the Margaret Street Chapel resigned on his conversion to Roman Catholicism.<ref name=survey/>
On the recommendation of the painter William Collins R.A, a copy of Raphael's Transfiguration by Thomas Brigstocke was purchased as an altarpiece.Alterations were made to the church between 1839 and 1843 by the architect R.C. Carpenter, and further changes, including the installation of an elaborate inlaid marble floor, were made in 1867 by William Butterfield.<ref name=survey>Template:Cite book</ref>
Christ Church was frequented by Christina Rossetti who lived in Albany Street for a couple of years.<ref name=anglic>Template:Cite web</ref> Her brother Dante Gabriel Rossetti produced a stained-glass window depicting the Sermon on the Mount for the church (a second version is elsewhere).<ref>William Morris and Selsley Church. Examples of Morris & Co's stained glass and the genesis of the Arts and Craft movement in the Cotswolds</ref>
A school grew up on Redhill Street near the church, called Christ Church Primary School. On 26 January 1950 the funeral service of George Orwell, was held at the church, as it was near to both Middlesex Hospital where he died and BBC Broadcasting House, where he worked.
In 1974, the Albany Consort, an early music group, was founded at the church.
The church was designated a Grade II* listed building on 10 June 1954.
In 1989 Christ Church ceased to be a place of Anglican worship and became St George's Cathedral. With St Botolph-without-Bishopsgate in the City of London it is one of two Antiochan churches in London. A new roof was built in 2000.
- Saint George: Devotions, traditions and prayers
- List of works by R. C. Carpenter