St. Wenceslas Church
The Church of Saint Wenceslas (Template:Lang-cs) is a Roman Catholic church in Vršovice in Prague 10, Czech Republic. The church was built in 1930 as a commemoration of the 1,000th anniversary of the death of St. Wenceslas.
This was one of three new buildings constructed in 1929 in Prague inspired by the 1000th anniversary of the death of St. Wenceslas.<ref name=praha/> This is the Saint Wenceslas who features in the Christmas carol "Good King Wenceslas", which was based on a poem written by Václav Alois Svoboda<ref name=paces>Template:Cite book</ref> The most expensive construction for Wenceslas's commemoration in Prague was the completion of the medieval cathedral, but the Catholic Church also decided to build two new churches. One church was to be built at Ji?ího z Pod?brad and this one, which was to be built on a former cemetery in Svatopluk ?ech square in Vršovice.<ref name=praha>Church of St. Wenceslas in Vršovice, Hundred -spired Prague, Praha.eu, retrieved 17 November 2013</ref>
There was already a church in Vršovice dedicated to St. Nicholas whose history went back, via several buildings on the site, to the 11th century,<ref name=virtn>Church of St. Nicholas in Vršovice, virtualni.praha.eu, retrieved 16 November 2013</ref> but this was to be a new church. The idea of a new church had started in 1864 but the process was slow and it took till 1902 to establish a committee to create a new church for Vršovice.<ref name=farn>History, farnostvrsovice.cz, retrieved 18 November 2013</ref>
The design of the new church was settled by competition with over 50 entries being short-listed to three. Josef Go?ár was the winner with a daring Constructivist design. The foundation stone was laid in May 1929 and the church was consecrated by Francis Kordac, the Archbishop of Prague on 21 September 1930.<ref name=1prag>Church of St Wenceslas in Vršovice, 1pragueguide, retrieved 18 November 2013</ref> It is said that the overall plan was made by the architect to have a hall that led to the presbytery to cope with the sloping ground.<ref name=praha/>
The building is dominated by the 50-metre tower with a large seven-metre cross as its top. The tower also incorporates a clock and it is possible to climb to this and the top just using a ladder.<ref name=praha/> The tower has five bells and the cross at the top is lighted at night.<ref name=1prag/>
The windows in the church were replaced in 1998 during a refurbishment<ref name=praha/> Up to that date the glass chosen was Luxfer glass which is a glass covered in small prisms which directed the light in the architect's desired direction.
The church was open in September 2012 as part of the European Heritage Days initiative.