St Columba's Church, London
Template:More footnotes St Columba's Church is one of the two London congregations of the Church of Scotland. The church building, designed by Sir Edward Maufe, is located in Pont Street, Knightsbridge, near Harrod's department store.
The presence of Scottish Presbyterianism in London dates back to the Union of the Crowns in 1603. A congregation was established near what is now Trafalgar Square, with a permanent church later being built in Crown Court near Covent Garden. This church is still in use, although rebuilt. The growth in the Scottish community in London resulted in the need for a larger church than Crown Court Church alone could accommodate. The original St Columba's Church building of 1884 was destroyed by wartime bombing during the night of 10 May 1941. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1958 to a striking contemporary design by the architect Sir Edward Maufe, who also designed Guildford Cathedral. The church is named after Saint Columba.
The dance society London Reels meets at St Columba's once a month from September to May to dance Highland Reels.
The current minister (as of June 2012) is the Rev Angus MacLeod, who was inducted to the charge by the Church of Scotland's Presbytery of England on 7 June 2012.
St Columba's Church is linked (i.e. shares a minister) with St Andrew's Church in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. This church is located at the junction of Sandyford Road and Grantham Road in Newcastle. The nearest Tyne and Wear Metro station is Jesmond.
There have been three Ministers of St. Columba's who have held the office as Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland:
- Very Rev. Robin F. V. Scott, 1956
- Very Rev. J. Fraser McLuskey, 1983
- Very Rev. John H. McIndoe, 1996
St Columba's featured in an episode of the BBC comedy series Absolutely Fabulous in 1996. The Rev Calum McLeod, the Associate Minister of St Columba's at the time, officiated at the wedding of "Saffy".
- Church of Scotland
- List of Church of Scotland parishes
- List of churches in London
- Nordic churches in London