St Margarets, London
St Margarets is a suburb<ref name="GLA 2002">Template:Cite book</ref> in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, England, about Template:Convert west-southwest of central London. It is within the Twickenham post town. It is bounded by the River Thames to the east and the River Crane to the west and north; the northern limit, less well defined, has changed with local government boundary revisions.<ref name="LGBCE">Template:Cite web</ref> St Margarets does not pass any further south than Richmond Road, Twickenham. The area closer to Richmond Bridge is known as East Twickenham and is not regarded as part of St Margarets.
St Margarets takes its name from the former St Margaret's House. It was the country house of Lord Cassilis, Marquis of Ailsa, and later belonged to the Earl of Kilmorey. Their names can be found in local street names, including Kilmorey Gardens and Ailsa Road.
Many Victorian houses remain in St Margarets. In 1854 the St Margaret's Estate was laid out for building family houses, becoming one of the first garden suburbs.
Modern St Margarets dates from the arrival of the railway. There are some tree-lined residential roads and a range of shops and cafés. Twickenham Studios are in the middle of the area. Between St Margarets Road and the railway line (to the east of the "village") is a residential estate, "Twickenham Park".
The St Margarets Fair is held each July in the principal public space, Moormead Park by the River Crane.
In 1814 the painter J.M.W. Turner built Solus Lodge in Sandycoombe Road. The house survives as Sandycombe Lodge.
Gordon House is a Grade II listed Georgian mansion on the river Thames at St Margarets. Like St Margaret's House it was previously owned by Lord Kilmorey. The house has a Robert Adam wing, added in 1738. For many years, it was used as part of Brunel University. In recent years the house has been redeveloped by Octagon Developments, with the former chapel and coachhouse converted to private homes.
The Kilmorey Mausoleum is on the northern extremities of St Margarets, near the borough boundary with Isleworth. A Grade II* listed building<ref name="Listing">Template:Cite web</ref>in the style of an ancient Egyptian monument, it was built in the 1850s by the 2nd Earl of Kilmorey and contains the bodies of the Earl and his mistress, Priscilla Anne Hoste. It has been moved several times but is now located in St Margarets and is maintained jointly by Richmond upon Thames Council and English Heritage.<ref name="Damage">Template:Cite news</ref>The mausoleum is occasionally opened to the public.<ref name="Home">Template:Cite web</ref>
St Margaret of Scotland Roman Catholic church on St Margarets Road was built to a modern design of the architect Austin Winckley and opened in 1969. In 1999 it became a Grade II listed building.
Template:Main There are three main schools in the town: Orleans Park School (secondary), St. Stephens School (primary) and Orleans Infant School (junior).
Neighbouring districts include East Twickenham to the east, Richmond further to the east (across Richmond Bridge or Richmond Lock), Twickenham to the southwest and Isleworth to the northwest, across the River Crane. Access to the east is restricted by the lack of a fixed river crossing between Richmond Lock and Kew Bridge.
St Margarets is cut through by the busy Chertsey Road (A316), which connects central London to the M3 motorway. Much of south St Margarets is in a controlled parking zone (CPZ), which restricts parking to residents and holders of vouchers. See map of CPZ in south St Margarets
The normal service from St Margarets station is 4 trains per hour to and from Waterloo.
The H37 bus between Hounslow and Richmond is the only route through St Margarets. Other nearby bus routes are H22, 33, R68, R70 and 490 coming from central Twickenham along Richmond Road, all except 33 go past Richmond station.
- St Margarets Community Website
- St Margarets Fair
- St Margarets at the DMOZ open directory project.
- London Bus routes