St Mildred, Poultry
St Mildred, Poultry was a parish church in the Cheap ward, of the City of London. It was rebuilt after the Great Fire of London and demolished in 1872. St Mildred in the Poultry was the burial place of the writer Thomas Tusser. Some description of the church and its monuments is given in John Stow's Survey of London.
The church stood the north side of Poultry at its junction with Mansion House Street. The first church can be traced back to 1175, in the reign of Henry the Second; by 1456, it had fallen into disrepair, and had to be taken down and rebuilt.<ref name=godwin/>
Rebuilding after the Great Fire
The medieval building was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and a new church was completed in 1676 to the designs of Sir Christopher Wren, after which the parish was united with that of St Mary Colechurch, which was not rebuilt. George Godwin described the interior of the new church as "a simple room with a flat ceiling coved at the sides … remarkable for nothing but a strange want of symmetry apparent at the west end". It was 56 feet long, 42 feet wide and 36 feet high.<ref name=godwin/> The most ornamented part of the exterior was the south side, towards Poultry, with a central pediment and Ionic pilasters.<ref name=wheatley/> There was a 75 foot high tower,<ref name=godwin>Template:Cite book</ref> topped by a copper weather-vane in the form of a ship.<ref name=wheatley>Template:Cite book</ref>
An organ was provided in the mid eighteenth century by George England.
The building was sold for £50,200 in 1871 under the Union of Benefices Act<ref name=wheatley/> and demolished the following year. A City Corporation Plaque now marks the site. The parish was united with that of St Olave Old Jewry and the proceeds of the sale were used to build and endow the new church of St Paul, Goswell Road, which also received the City church's pulpit and woodwork. The weather vane was transferred to St Olave Old Jewry.<ref name=wheatley/> When the parish of St Olave also ceased to be viable, the combined paishes were in turn united with St Margaret Lothbury.
Rectors (incomplete list)
- 1523-1527 John Smith
- 1541 John Weale
- 1590-1617 Thomas Sorocold
- 1618-1638 Nathaniel Shute
- 1638, ejected Richard Maden
- 1645-6 Henry Scudder as minister
- 1661-1673 Richard Perrinchief, Archdeacon of Huntingdon
- 1673-1696 John Williams
- 1726-1748 William Wallis
- 1748-1775 Benjamin (John) Newcombe, Dean of Rochester
- 1775-1806 Robert Bromley
- List of Christopher Wren churches in London
- List of churches rebuilt after the Great Fire but since demolished