St Paul's Church, Shadwell
St Paul's Church, Shadwell, is a Grade II* listed church, located between The Highway and Shadwell Basin, on the edge of Wapping, in the East End of London, England. The church has had varying fortunes over many centuries, and is now very active, having been supported recently by Holy Trinity Brompton Church.
The old parish church, traditionally known as the Church of Sea Captains, was built in 1656, and rebuilt in 1669 as the Parish Church of Shadwell.
John Wesley preached there, and Captain James Cook worshipped at there; James Cook, his eldest son, was baptised there in 1763. There is a board outside with a full roll of honour, including Cook's name. Also baptised there were William Henry Perkin, the chemist who discovered the first aniline dye, and Jane Randolph, mother of Thomas Jefferson.
The church was demolished in 1817 and the present building, a Waterloo church designed by John Walters, was erected in 1820.
In January 2005, a team from the congregation of Holy Trinity Brompton moved to Shadwell to minister with the existing members of St. Paul's in serving the local area. This follows a number of similar church plants from Holy Trinity Brompton to declining churches around London with the support of the Bishop of London. Rev Ric Thorpe was licensed as the new Priest-in-Charge on 20 January 2005 with Rev Jez Barnes assisting him as the associate pastor.