The camp comprised two buildings located in the town. The main camp was located on Naundorfer Strasse, about Template:Convert south-west of the railway station. Originally a small print factory it was requisitioned for use as a POW camp in May 1941. For most of the war the camp held only around 800 POWs,<ref name="gcjonlineMain">Template:Cite web</ref> as most were assigned to Arbeitslager ("Work Camps") in factories, mines, railway yards, and farms, up to Template:Convert away. There was also an administration building on the corner of Wolfersdorff and Puschkin Strassen, formerly a school for Army NCOs, with a small compound of wooden huts that housed around 20 POWs assigned to clerical duties.<ref name="gcjonlineMain"/>
A sub-camp, Stalag IV-D/Z, was opened in May 1942, located in Annaburg about Template:Convert north of Torgau. From March 1944 it was designated as a Heilag (short for Heimkehrerlager), a repatriation camp for POWs waiting to be either exchanged or returned home on medical grounds.
The camps were liberated in late April 1945 when US and Soviet forces met on the Elbe at Torgau.
Post–World War II
Template:Main After the war, the Soviet secret police agency NKVD established its Special Camps Nos. 8 and 10 in Fort Zinna and in the nearby Seydlitz barracks. Germans and some Soviet citizens were interned here or served sentences passed by the Soviet military tribunals. The East German People's Police used the Fort Zinna prison from 1950 to 1990 as a penitentiary. In the 1950s it primarily housed political prisoners.
The Torgau Documentation and Information Center (DIZ), founded in 1991 and now under the administration of the Saxon Memorial Foundation for the commemoration of the victims of political despotism, researches and presents the history of the Torgau prisons in the permanent exhibition "Traces of Injustice".
- Albert Mullard
- List of prisoner-of-war camps in Germany