Stepney Green tube station
Template:Use dmy dates Template:Use British English Template:Infobox London station Stepney Green tube station is a London Underground station on the corner of Mile End Road and Globe Road in the Stepney neighbourhood of the London Borough of Tower Hamlets in east London, England. The station is on the District line and the Hammersmith & City line. The station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel and Bow Railway, a joint venture between the District Railway and the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The station has been served by electric trains since 1905.
The station was opened in 1902 by the Whitechapel and Bow Railway, a joint venture between the District Railway and the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway. The new railway connected the District Railway at Whitechapel with the London, Tilbury and Southend at Bow.
Electrified District Railway services started in 1905. Hammersmith and City line services (then part of the Metropolitan line) started in 1936. The station passed to London Underground in 1950.<ref name="LT transfer">Template:Cite web</ref>
It is a sub surface station with two platforms. The ticket office is above ground and connected to the platforms by stairs. The layout and design of the station is largely unchanged with many original features intact. On the Westbound platform you will find one of the common countdown timers (found in most tube stations now) producing an estimated time of arrival (ETA) for the next train, however the Eastbound platform still has one of the old signs which merely indicates the intended destination of the next train, with no indication of the ETA.
Stepney Green is one of the two stations (the other being Mile End) serving the nearby Mile End campus of Queen Mary, University of London use, as both stations are located at each side of it. The stations site is served by London bus route 25, 205, 309 and 339.