Sunbury Manor School
Template:Infobox UK school Sunbury Manor School is a secondary academy school in Sunbury-on-Thames, in Middlesex, England.
The school accepts pupils in its catchment area, between the ages of 11-16 (Years 7-11). There is a waiting list for pupils who wish to join the school after Year 7. Its current headteacher is Mrs Louise Duncan. The school is conjoined with Sunbury Leisure Centre, and makes use of the centre's resources. Sunbury Manor has been designated a Specialist Humanities College, with specialisms in English, History and Geography. It is situated just south of the beginning junction of the M3 and the Shepperton Branch Line.
It is based on the site of the former Sunbury County Grammar School, which opened in 1956 on Nursery Road with 150 boys and girls, administered by Middlesex County Council Educational Committee then the Northern Surrey Divisional Executive of Surrey Education Committee. It later became Sunbury County Secondary School, which accepted ages 12–16. This site was also once home to an Orphanage.
Some current facilities include: The Humanities Block with 8 new classrooms, two drama studios, two music suites, a “Learning Resource Area”, seven Science laboratories, Learning Support facilities, including a Physiotherapy Room, ten I.C.T suites, a media suite, interactive white boards and colour laser printers, three areas for art and textiles, a technology suite, access to Sunbury Leisure Centre, and on site sports fields.
In 2007, the school's highest GCSE results were achieved, with 57? of pupils obtaining 5 or more A* - C grades.
Sunbury Manor School is part of the Eco-Schools project - a programme designed to help reduce the impact of the school on the environment, whilst encouraging students to take responsibility for the future of the environment. The Eco-Schools project offers three award levels (Bronze, Silver and Green Flag). Sunbury Manor School has been awarded the Bronze Award.
Bronze status means:
- Sunbury Manor School has identified an Action Team and the team has met on two occasions.
- Sunbury Manor School's Action team has completed an Environmental Review.
- Sunbury Manor School's Action Team has produced a basic Action Plan and shared the plan with the rest of the school community.
- The Action Team has identified ways of making progress towards achieving elements of the Action Plan.
- Sunbury Manor School can indicate that several environmental issues are covered within curriculum work.
- Sunbury Manor School has a designated Eco-Schools notice-board, web-page and newsletter page, detailing the activities being undertaken towards achieving the next award.
Pupils from Sunbury Manor School have been representing the school as ball boys and girls at The Championships, Wimbledon and the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club for the past 10 years. From January to June pupils from year 10 attend selection trials, before undergoing rigorous training in the school and at Wimbledon. Several ball boys and girls were invited to be part of the Guard of Honour after the Men's and Ladies’ Finals.
Sunbury County Grammar School
- Simon Block, General Secretary from 2000-8 of the British Boxing Board of Control
- Brian Capron, actor in Coronation Street
- Trevor Osborne, President from 1991-2 of the British Property Federation
- Kevin O'Sullivan, Daily Mirror TV columnist
- Sean Pertwee Actor and Labour Party activist.
- Gulam Shaikh Comedian.