Türkentor (Munich)

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
File:Türkentor2010.JPG
The Türkentor in 2010 after restoration
File:Türkentor.JPG
The Türkentor in 2006 before the restoration
File:MUC MaxVStadt TürkentorRedSphere-2011-05.jpg
"Large Red Sphere" in the Türkentor

Template:Commons category The Türkentor (Turks' Gate) is a gatehouse in Munich. It is the only surviving part of the Türkenkaserne barracks, built in 1826 for the Royal Bavarian Infantry Lifeguards Regiment. The gatehouse was named after the Türkenstraße on which it was located, which was in turn named after the Türkengraben channel dug along the Kurfürstenstraße by Turkish prisoners of war during the German states' 18th century wars with the Ottoman Empire to provide a waterway as part of the North Munich Canal System (Nordmünchner Kanalsystem) linking the Munich Residenz with the Schleissheim Palace.

Between 2008 and 2010 the Türkentor was restored with 780,000 Euros from the Stiftung Pinakothek der Moderne. It reopened in October 2010 and since then has housed the sculpture Large Red Sphere by the American artist Walter De Maria, which had been purchased by the Stiftung Brandhorst.

References

<references />

External links

Template:Coord