Template:For Template:Infobox German location Tempelhof is a locality of Berlin within the borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg. It is the location of the former Tempelhof Airport, one of the earliest commercial airports in the world. It is now deserted and shows as a blank spot on maps of Berlin. Attempts are being made to save the still-existing buildings.
The Tempelhof district is located in the south-central part of the city. Before Berlin's 2001 administrative reform, the area of Tempelhof, together with the localities of Mariendorf, Marienfelde, and Lichtenrade, constituted a borough of its own, also called Tempelhof. These districts grew from historic villages founded in the early 13th century in the course of the German Ostsiedlung.
Tempelhove was first mentioned in a 1247 deed issued at the Walkenried Abbey as a Komturhof (commander's court, the smallest holding entity of a military order) of the Knights Templar who were expelled from Palestine.Template:Citation needed The centre of the settlement, consisting of the church and the original estate, was fortified and originally completely surrounded by water. The Templars were joined by fifteen families of landless farmers' sons from the Rhine, who could not inherit any estate from their parents because of over-fragmentation of those estates. Legates of the Templars offered them fertile soil and the protection of Tempelhove's stronghold.
After Pope Clement V officially abolished the Order of the Temple in 1312, the knights of Saint John (the Johanniter), backed by Margrave Waldemar of Brandenburg, took over the villages of Tempelhof, Mariendorf, and Marienfelde. In 1435, they sold their estates to the city of Berlin.
In the early nineteenth century, Tempelhof was still a village outside Berlin proper and was the site of country excursions for the citizens of Berlin. The northern parts of Tempelhof were incorporated as Berlin's Tempelhofer Vorstadt in 1861 and later became part of the Kreuzberg borough.
Today, the former commandry (Template:Lang-de) is a chain of parks, called Bosepark, Kleiner Park, Alter Park, and Franckepark. Some of them still have ponds that were part of the artificial moat surrounding the village's center. One, the Krumme Pfuhl, located in the Franckepark, after being turned into public swimming baths in the nineteenth century, has completely dried out and is now an enclosed deer park.
The original church, built from glacial boulders, was destroyed in the Second World War and was replaced with one built of ashlar or dressed stone with a timber-frame tower.
- Thof lpfuhl.jpg
Lehnepfuhl in the Kleiner Park
- Bundesarchiv Bild 102-04481B, Berlin, Maifeier auf dem Tempelhofer Feld.jpg
Tempelhof in 1935
- Thof dpark.jpg
The deer park that was once the Krumme Pfuhl
- Thof kirche2.jpg
Village church as it looks today, its basic lower structures of boulders trace back to the commandry.
- Template:Flagicon Charleston, South Carolina, United States
- Template:Flagicon Nahariya, Israel
- Template:Flagicon London Borough of Barnet, England, United Kingdom
- Template:Flagicon Amstelveen, Netherlands
- Tempelhof Airport