The Old Queens Head

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox historic site

The Old Queen’s Head is a traditional pub on Essex Road in Islington, London. Its shopfront is scheduled as "to be retained" by Islington Council. It is a Grade II listed building.<ref name=EHlisting>Template:Cite web</ref>

Listed building

The Old Queen's Head is a public house dating to about 1830; the pub front on the ground floor dates to about 1900. The interior contains some early 17th-century features from an earlier building on the site.<ref name=EHlisting/>

The three storey building is of Flemish bond yellow brick with a stucco cornice; a stepped parapet hides the pitched roof. There is a range of three windows facing Essex Road and three to Queen's Head Street; one window faces the corner, which is curved.<ref name=EHlisting/>

Inside, there is an early 17th-century moulded plaster ceiling. The ceiling is decorated with ornamental bands around panels that contain emblems. There is a wood and stone chimneypiece of the same age. Figures on either side of the stone hearth support an entablature bearing two carved scenes. The upper part of the chimneypiece is similarly decorated, ending in a frieze and cornice.<ref name=EHlisting/>

History

File:OldQueen'sHead.jpg
The original public house until 1829

The previous pub on the site was demolished in 1829. It was described by Walter Thornbury, writing in 1872-1878, as

Template:Quote

Thornbury describes the interior with the surviving fireplace in detail:

Template:Quote

Ghosts and legends

According to Absolute Publishing's London Visitor Guide, an unattributed rumour is that The Old Queen's Head is haunted like many London pubs, supposedly by both a woman and a girl in Tudor clothes.

Thornbury, writing in 1878, also mentions the pub's alleged connection with Sir Walter Raleigh, though he denied its validity:<ref name=Thornbury/>

Template:Quote

See also

References

Template:Reflist

Bibliography

External links