Tower Millennium Pier
Template:Infobox London River Services Tower Millennium Pier is a pier on the River Thames, in London, UK. It is operated by London River Services and served by various river transport and cruise operators. The pier is close to Tower Bridge and is situated immediately adjacent to the Tower of London, next to the Traitors' Gate.
The pier is used by river bus services from Embankment to Woolwich (operated by Thames Clipper) and Westminster-Greenwich tourist boats (operated by City Cruises). Private-charter entertainment boats also use Tower Pier.
Tower Millennium Pier was opened on 14 July by London Mayor Ken Livingstone. Its creation was funded by the Millennium Commission as part of the Thames 2000 project, and was one of five new piers provided by the Commission on the Thames (the others being Blackfriars Millennium Pier, London Eye Pier, Westminster Millennium Pier and Millbank Millennium Pier). The pier has at its upstream end a small cruise terminal facility which is used for processing passengers and baggage transferred by boat from cruise ships berthed alongside HMS Belfast. The Tower Pier project was part of an integrated transport and regeneration strategy for the Thames led by London's Cross River Partnership.
Local transport connections are all about five minutes' walk from Tower Millennium Pier:
- London Underground services run from Tower Hill tube station (District and Circle lines).
- St. Katharine Pier is located just on the other side of Tower Bridge, offering tourist river cruise services including the "hop-on, hop-off" circular service operated by Crown River Cruises.
- Tower Gateway DLR station provides Docklands Light Railway services to Canary Wharf DLR station, Stratford and Lewisham.
- Fenchurch Street railway station offers National Rail services to Essex.
Lifeboat pier move
In 2002 the RNLI's Thames lifeboat service was introduced to the River Thames following the Marchioness disaster, and Tower Pier was initially used as a base for the lifeboat service. In 2006 the RNLI station moved up-river to a new base, the former Waterloo Police Pier on Victoria Embankment next to Waterloo Bridge, which took the name Tower Lifeboat Station.<ref>Template:Cite web </ref>
Under plans announced in April 2009, Tower Millennium Pier is being extended on its upstream end during 2011 to accommodate more river boat services.<ref name="concordat">Template:Cite news</ref>
- Tower Millennium Pier 1.jpg
Tower Millennium Pier with Tower Bridge
- Tower Millennium Pier 3.jpg
A catamaran arriving at Tower Pier
- Tower Millennium Pier 4.jpg
The pier entrance
- Tower Millennium Pier 5.jpg
The pier with the Tower of London on the right
- Tower Bridge, London 2005-04-29.jpg
The pier and Tower Bridge seen from the air
- Tower Millennium Pier 2.jpg
A catamaran berthed at the pier