Uhlandstraße (Berlin U-Bahn)
right The underground station Uhlandstraße is the western terminus of U1 line, which is part of the Berlin U-Bahn network in Germany.
The station opened on 12 October 1913 (build by A.Grenander) as the first section of a projected metro line connecting Wittenbergplatz with Berlin-Halensee railway station which was never built. It is located in southeastern Charlottenburg on the Kurfürstendamm boulevard among mundane shopping facilities. The area is somewhat reminiscent of the period of promoterism (Gründerzeit) and the Wirtschaftswunder days of the 1950s. Quiet, green roads with mostly expensive flats make the area one of the most desirable but unaffordable in Berlin, comparable for instance to the area between Westminster and Kensington in London.
In 1945 the station was shortly closed, in 1957 again for four years because of the new construction of the subway station Kurfürstendamm. From 1970 trains went only to this station (1,2 km length) but from 1993 trains are going to Warschauer Strasse again.
In 2005 a second entrance was opened at the eastern end of the station, at the junction of Kurfürstendamm and Fasanenstraße.