Union Jack Club

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

thumb thumb]] The Union Jack Club is an Armed Forces Club in central Londonfor members and veterans of the British Armed Services (and their families), including serving members of the Volunteer Reserve Forces, below commissioned rank. Located near Waterloo Station, the club has over 290 rooms for accommodation (single, twin, double and flats), a restaurant, bar, small library and function rooms.

The idea in creating the club came from Ethel McCaul, a Royal Red Cross nurse who was served in field hospitals during the South African War at the start of the 20th century. The Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone of the club in July 1904 and later as King Edward VII with Queen Alexandra officially opened the club in July 1907. The original Edwardian building was located at 91 Waterloo Road and was completed at the end of 1904.

During World War II, the area around Waterloo Station was heavily bombed and the club was damaged. In 1970, it was decided to demolish the original building and to construct a completely new one. Demolition began in 1971 and building started in 1972. The club's new premises opened on 16 October 1975. It was formally opened by the Patron-in-Chief, Queen Elizabeth II, on 12 February 1976.

The club's main entrance is now in Sandell Street off Waterloo Road, opposite Waterloo Station. There are spectacular views of London from the upper floors, where many of the accommodation rooms are located. thumb, towering over the surrounding buildings.]]

See also

Template:Commons cat

  • Union Jack

External links