Ursuline High School, Wimbledon
The Ursuline High School, Wimbledon ("the Ursuline") is a Roman Catholic secondary school, for girls aged 11 to 19, based in Crescent Road and The Downs, Wimbledon, London. The school has a joint sixth form with the all-boys brother school of Wimbledon College that is situated on Edge Hill.
Its specialisms are Business & Enterprise and Modern Foreign Language and was designated a Gifted & Talented Lead School.
In 1892, the Ursulines established a convent and school in Worple Road. The convent school was split into the junior and senior schools during the 1940s due to the growing number of girls. The junior section is now Ursuline Preparatory School. The high school was previously an independent boarding school and became a . It became comprehensive in 1968 and reverted to a 13+ intake when the Merton LEA changed to the three-tier system. It expanded its intake to 11+ in September 2002 when the LEA reverted to the two-tier system.
Each year is split into seven tutor groups: Angela, Bernadette, Catherine, Francis, Margaret, Theresa, Ursula. A peer mentoring programme is in place where sixth form girls are paired with younger girls. Counselling is available through the Youth Awareness Programme, the Ursuline Sisters and the Cabrini Society.
- The Main Building - RE, French, German, Spanish, Information and Communication, Science,
- St. George - Mathematics
- Brescia - English, Design & Technology (Product Design)
- St. Ursula - Geography, History, Sociology, Psychology
- The Merici Sports Centre - PE
- St. Angela's Art Centre - Art, Music, Drama (Located on The Downs)
- Dorothy Kazel block - Business Studies, Health and Social Care, ICT
- Jill Murphy, writer
- The School Prospectus
- Ursuline High School on the Merton Council site
- DFES information
- Sixth Form Website
- Languages Website
- Ursuline High School - Ursulines UK