West Twyford (also known as Twyford Abbey)<ref name=vision>Vision of Britain - West Twyford (historic map)</ref> is a district located in Ealing, London, historically an extra-parochial area, and later civil parish, in the county of Middlesex, England.<ref name=victoria>West Twyford: Introduction, A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982). Date accessed: 7 January 2008.</ref>
The area of West Twyford is bounded by the Hanger Lane Gyratory to the west, the A406 North Circular to the north, Park Royal to the south and Willesden to the east.
West Twyford is close to two London Underground stations:
Hanger Lane (Central Line) Park Royal (Piccadilly Line)
The area now known as West Twyford began as a manor house in the fourteenth century. A small community built up to the west around St. Mary's Church which had originally been a chapel belonging to the manor house. In 1901 the Alexian order of Monks took over the manor house as a nursing home. It has since been known as Twyford Abbey. The brothers ran short of funds in 1988 and joined another part of their order in Manchester.  The abbey, which is a Grade II listed building, now lies derelict. Various grants for planning permission have been made but not granted.
The name Twyford relates to Twyford Brook. The brook now runs almost entirely underground. It formerly fed the Guinness brewery in Park Royal.Template:Citation needed. The word itself 'Twyford' is said to mean 'Two Fords'.
The area became a civil parish under the Extra-Parochial Places Act 1857 and formed part of Greenford Urban District from 1894. In 1901 it occupied an area of Template:Convert and had a population of 97.<ref name=victoria/> When the urban district was abolished in 1926 the parish was transferred to the Municipal Borough of Ealing. Then in 1934 it was transferred to the Municipal Borough of Willesden.<ref name=victoria/> The area now forms part of Greater London.
Much of the housing on Twyford Abbey Road was originally built by Guinness in order to house employees working in at the brewery in adjacent Park Royal.Template:Citation needed. Abbeyfields Close is one such residential development, built in 1984 as a series of garden squares, on land formerly owned by Guinness, although its name hints that it might have originally been agricultural land forming part of Twford Abbey estate.
The parish of St. Mary's was combined with the parish the church of the ascension in neighbouring Hanger Hill and currently has only an associate vicar of its own. In the 1950s the chapel of St. Mary's was extended with a new large church building, which later fell into disrepair and disuse, due to safety issues. In 2010 the new church was totally renovated to become a community hall and the original chapel was re-dedicated to St. Mary to become the church again. The church itself is very old and quite tiny, having originally been the chapel of Twyford Abbey, located just behind. St. Mary's churchyard contains one of the oldest headstones in Middlesex.Template:Citation needed.
More history of the area can be found in this article: http://westtwyford.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/west-twyford-park-royal.pdf
West Twyford is well served for groceries, banking and health services at the nearby Park Royal Neighbourhood Centre. Also nearby is the Boden flagship store, next to Park Royal Tube station.
For Vue cinema, Megabowl ten pin bowling, Puregym and a range of restaurants there is Park Royale, a leisure park immediately to the south of the A40 and West Twyford.
West Twford Primary School http://www.west-twyford.ealing.sch.uk/
Also see Community
Sport & Leisure
West Twyford Park. The park was formerly called Bodiam Fields, after the area of the same name in Sussex, where hops were grown for the Guinness brewery. There are plans for improvements to West Twford Park as well as new lakeside walks and cycle paths nearby: http://www.firstcentralparkroyal.co.uk/proposals/landscape/index.html
The Grand Union Canal runs through West Twford and provides level pathways alongside for walking a running. It is a short walk along the canalside to the Grand Junction Pub, which has lots of outdoor seating alongside the canal. For more adventurous walkers and cyclists the pathway continues all the way to Little Venice and Paddington.
Crystals on Twyford Abbey Road is a bar and function room, but also holds Zumba classes in its function room.
There is a blog for residents of the West Twyford area, which gives details of the West Twyford Community and Youth project, West Twyford Children's Centre and other local topics of interest to residents: >http://westtwyford.wordpress.com
West Twyford Children’s Centre provides a surprising range of services and activities, including mother and toddler groups, health services, daycare, before and after school clubs, Women into Work and English classes.
St Mary’s Church Community Hall, on Brentmead Gardens provides an expanding range of activities for local people.
West Twyford will soon benefit from a new public plaza with shops, cafes, a restaurant and health and fitness club. There will also be new public play, games & fitness areas in West Twyford Park http://www.firstcentralparkroyal.co.uk/proposals/benefits/index.html There will be an improved pedestrian/cycle route from West Twyford to Park Royal Underground station, and the station itself is also due to be improved.
Flats in the Royal Waterside development (Bodiam Court and Abbey Court) are due to be finished from summer 2015. The additional residents joining West Twyford will help achieve a critical popular threshold, boosting and supporting local amenities, businesses and community ventures.
In the Mayor's plans for the Park Royal Opportunity Area, it says that one of their objectives is to get public access to the grounds of Twyford Abbey heritage site http://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/park-royal-oapf-chaps10-12.pdf