Template:Infobox Secondary school The Wilhelmsgymnasium of Munich is a school of academic secondary education. It is very famous for various reasons: it is the oldest grammar school in Munich; it has had several famous (and infamous) students; since 2004 it has been the only school in Bavaria that can claim to be a "Humanistisches Gymnasium"; and the level of education in this school is very good (according to the 2006 year book, the students were best of all in Bavaria in the Abitur).
It calls itself a "Humanistisches Gymnasium" as it focuses on the Classics: each of the approximately 600 students will need to study Latin, English, and Ancient Greek.
The Gymnasium was founded in 1559 by Duke Albrecht V of Bavaria as a "Paedagogium", but was renamed in 1849 after its probable sponsor, Duke Wilhelm V. By 1773, the Gymnasium was under Jesuit direction ("Jesuit Gymnasium"). The present building on Thierschstraße (corner of Maximilianstraße) was erected in 1879 in Neo-Renaissance style.
Famous students or graduates (alphabetical order)
- Johannes R. Becher
- Count Otto von Bray-Steinburg
- Anton Diabelli
- Lion Feuchtwanger
- Franz Xaver Gabelsberger
- Carl Jung
- Golo Mann
- Klaus Mann
- Max von Pettenkofer
- Richard Riemerschmid
- Carl Spitzweg
- Ludwig Thoma
- Gunnar B. Stickler
- Hermann Stieve
- Konstantin Wecker
- Official Homepage of the Wilhelmsgymnasium
- Research on the history of the Wilhelmsgymnasium München by Peter Kefes Template:De icon