From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox UK place Yeading (Template:IPAc-en Template:Respell) is an area in London. It forms part of the London Borough of Hillingdon.


Yeading is very early Saxon and was originally Geddingas or Geddinges, meaning "the people of Geddi".<ref name="Etymology">Catherine Kelter, Hayes: A Concise History (Hillingdon Borough Libraries, 1988), p. 9.</ref>


The earliest surviving documented allusion to Yeading dates from 757 AD, in which year Æthelbald of Mercia made a land grant which mentioned Geddinges (Yeading) and Fiscesburne (Crane or Yeading Brook). The first land grant including Yeading was made by Offa in 790 to Æthelhard, Archbishop of Canterbury: "in the place called on linga Haese [Hayes] and Geddinges [Yeading] around the stream called Fiscesburna [Crane or Yeading Brook]."<ref name="Geddinges">Kelter, Hayes (1988), p. 13.</ref>

Anglo-Saxon settlement in Yeading therefore seems probable, but the history of Yeading in subsequent centuries is not as clear as that of Hayes. Such details as the names of many Yeading manor holders remain unknown.<ref name="Geddinges"/>

Yeading Dock was one of many docks built along the Grand Union Canal in the 19th and early 20th centuries. The main industry in Hayes and Yeading at this time was brickmaking, and the canal provided a reliable way of transporting larger numbers of bricks. Yeading's brickworkers could be known to keep pigs as a second source of income. A bourgeois writer, one Elizabeth Hunt, wrote in 1861 that in "Yeading dirt, ignorance and darkness reign supreme."<ref name="Brickmaking">Kelter, Hayes (1988), p. 39.</ref> In 1874, however, one James Thorne wrote that the inhabitants of Yeading were "always found civil".<ref name="Civil">James Thorne, Handbook to the Environs of London, alphabetically arranged (London, 1876), pp. 334-6.</ref>

Yeading was still not developed in the 1920s. Yeading Lane was often flooded, and access beyond Yeading to Northolt seems to have been by footpath only before the First World War. During the War, a properly constructed road was built linking the Great Western Railway station at Hayes with the L.N.E.R. line at Northolt. Yeading was still mainly a rural area.<ref name="Lane">Kelter, Hayes (1988), p. 59.</ref>

After the Second World War, a large prefab estate was erected in Yeading. By 1956, Yeading's Tilbury Square was still without gas and electricity, and oil stoves and open fires were still used; the public house The Willow Tree, reputedly some 400 years old (now demolished), was lit by three cylinders of calor gas.<ref name="Prefab">Kelter, Hayes (1988), pp. 72-3.</ref> The Yeading Lane estate underwent largescale development in the late 1960s and '70s.


Schools in Yeading include:

Transport and locale


Yeading has the following bus routes travelling through it: 90, 140, 696, E6 and E9.


Yeading Library, Yeading Lane, UB4 0EW.


Public houses

Pubs in Yeading include:

Sport and recreation

Football team Hayes & Yeading United F.C. was assembled from the former Hayes F.C. and Yeading F.C.

Yeading's parks and greens provide plenty of opportunity for children to play.

A community radio station, 91.8 Hayes FM, serves Yeading.

Notable people

  • Greg Dyke, former Director-General of the BBC, attended Yeading Primary School

Yeading on screen

  • Yeading F.C.'s erstwhile ground, known as the Warren, was used to film scenes from the Keira Knightley film Bend It Like Beckham (2002). Yeading's commercial manager Bill Perryman was given a part in the film.
  • Yeading F.C.'s former ground was also used to film scenes from the Vinnie Jones film Mean Machine (2001).
  • Location footage for British soap opera Family Affairs (1997-2005) was mostly shot in West London; the Lock and its surrounding areas were filmed at Yeading Marina.

Nearest places



  • Hanwell
  • Northolt
  • Southall




External links

Template:LB Hillingdon