Crimean War Memorial
Template:Infobox Military Memorial The Crimean War Memorial is a memorial in London that commemorates the Allied victory in the Crimean War of 1853-56. It is located on Waterloo Place, at the junction of Regent Street and Pall Mall, approximately one-quarter of the way from the Duke of York Column to Piccadilly Circus.
It was unveiled in 1861 and consisted of the statues of three Guardsmen, with a female allegorical figure referred to as Honour. It was cast in bronze from the cannons captured at the siege of Sevastopol. The sculptor was John Bell.
On the front, by the statues of the Guardsmen are two plaques. The uppermost states:
The Guards' Memorial was pulled down in the year of our lord 1914 and was re-erected 30 feet north in order to permit the erection of the Florence Nightingale and Sidney Herbert statues.
The lower one states:
The foundation stone of the Guards' Memorial was laid in the year of our lord 1861 by Margaret Johanna Bell.
On the back facade of the monuments, facing the road up to Piccadilly is another plaque, a shield surrounded by foliage and mounted on guns. This reads:
To the memory of 2152 Officers, Non-Com. Officers and Privates of the BRIGADE OF GUARDS who fell during the war with Russian in 1854-56. Erected by their Comrades.
In 1914, it was pulled down and moved to make room for the statues of Florence Nightingale and Sidney Herbert who was Secretary at War during the Crimean War. It is only then that the allegorical figure is referred to as Victory. The sculpture of Nightingale was by Arthur George Walker, and the sculpture of Herbert was by John Henry Foley.