Fullbrook School

From Wiki
Revision as of 16:26, 30 June 2015 by Ingo Eigen (Talk | contribs) (Automatischer Import durch Python-Skript)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:Infobox UK school Fullbrook School is a secondary school and sixth form in north west Surrey, England. The school has held Specialist Mathematics and Computing College status since 2002. The school gained Grant Maintained status in the mid-1990s and was then given foundation status in 1999. In 2011 the school became an academy. Its main catchment areas are Byfleet, West Byfleet and New Haw with some pupils coming from Addlestone, Woking, Goldsworth Park and Sheerwater. The chair of the governing body was Dr Tony Little. The school has around 1550 students and there are about 250 students in the school's Sixth Form.<ref name="ofsted2007">Ofsted Inspection Report 2007, accessed 3 April 2009.</ref>

History

Fullbrook was first established on its present site in 1954, when West Byfleet County Secondary School was divided into two as numbers at that school, due to post-war expansion, reached 747 in September 1953. Pupils living to the north of the line from Sheerwater Road, the Basingstoke Canal and then along the railway to West Weybridge (now Byfleet and New Haw) transferred to Fullbrook County Secondary School.

Above the main entrance is a stone plaque that was loaned to the school from the London County Council (LCC) during the building programme in the early 1950s. The Sheerwater Estate was being built to provide over spill housing for Londoners. The school there, now Bishop David Brown, had not yet been built and so the plaque came to the just completed Fullbrook School. The Headteacher and Governors used it to inspire the school badge. The plaque features an eagle and a squirrel. It was decided that as an eagle was often used on badges, to use choose the squirrel as it was different. The Festival of Britain was held at that time and celebrated contemporary design. The original Fullbrook building is in a typical 1950s style and perhaps the plaque was placed over the main entrance to decorate an otherwise plain architectural design. The plaque design is very much in the Art Deco style and it is possible that it came from a London building destroyed during The Blitz.

The initial cohort of teaching staff also came from West Byfleet. These included Mr. Wilfred H. Bean, B.Sc., the headmaster, Mrs. M. McGrath (Deputy), Miss O. Edwards (who became Mrs. O Hesketh), Miss Mullin, Miss Taylor, Mrs. Jean Elvidge and Messrs. Blanchard, Davis, P. Drawneek (who later changed his name to P. Fairfax), Russell T. Elvidge, W. Evans, S. Payne, Wheeler. Mr. W. H. Bean, the school's first headmaster retired in 1968.

In 1976 West Byfleet County Secondary School closed and its pupils and teachers joined Fullbrook, merged to create the mixed school we are familiar with today.

Houses

The houses of the school were originally named after British Royal Houses - Tudor, Stuart, Hanover and Windsor and then later famous battles - Alamein, Blenheim, Agincourt, Hastings, Trafalgar and Waterloo and are now formed from an entire school vote on a list of 50 house name ideas which were themed around the idea of Maths and Computing (the school's Specialist Subjects). The six that won were Newton (yellow), Cyber (blue), Enigma (red), Fibonacci (purple), Galileo (orange) and Matrix (green).

References

Template:Reflist

External links

Template:Schools in Surrey