Kenwood House

From Wiki
Revision as of 13:09, 30 June 2015 by Ingo Eigen (Talk | contribs) (Automatischer Import durch Python-Skript)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Template:EngvarB Template:Use dmy dates thumb Kenwood House (also known as the Iveagh Bequest) is a former stately home, in Hampstead, London, on the northern boundary of Hampstead Heath. It is managed by English Heritage, and normally open to the public. The house was closed for major renovations from 2012 until late 2013.

The house is best known for the artwork it houses. During the renovations, many works from the house's small but important collection of Old Master paintings are touring museums in the United States, including Rembrandt's Self Portrait with Two Circles, while others including Vermeer's The Guitar Player have been loaned to the National Gallery.


thumb thumb The original house dates from the early 17th century. The orangery was added in about 1700. In 1754 it was bought by William Murray, 1st Earl of Mansfield. He commissioned Robert Adam to remodel it from 1764–1779. Adam added the library (one of his most famous interiors) to balance the orangery, and added the Ionic portico at the entrance. In 1793-6 George Saunders added two wings on the north side, and the offices and kitchen buildings and brewery (now the restaurant) to the side.

The 2nd Earl and Countess of Mansfield added a dairy to supply Kenwood House with milk and cheese.

It was donated to the nation by Lord Iveagh, a member of the Guinness family, when he died in 1927, and opened to the public in 1928. He had bought the house from the Mansfield family in 1925. Unfortunately the furnishing had already been sold by then, so the house is largely empty. Some furniture has since been added. The paintings are from Iveagh's collection. Part of the grounds were bought by the Kenwood Preservation Council in 1922, after there had been threats that it would be sold for building. In the late 1990s the house received approximately 150,000 visitors a year and an estimated 1 million people visited the grounds each year.

The house was the subject of a Margaret Calkin James poster in the 1930s, and was seen by many commuters on the London Underground.

The British feature film Notting Hill was partly filmed here. Template:-


The estate has a designed landscape with gardens near the house, probably originally designed by Humphry Repton, contrasting with some surrounding woodland, and the naturalistic Hampstead Heath to the south. There is also a new garden by Arabella Lennox-Boyd.

One third of the estate is a Site of Special Scientific Interest, particularly the ancient woodlands. These are home to many birds and insects and the largest Pipistrelle bat roost in London.

There are sculptures by Barbara Hepworth, Henry Moore and Eugène Dodeigne in the gardens near the house.

thumb]] thumb]] thumb]]

Music concerts, originally classical but in more recent years predominantly pop concerts, were held by the lake on Saturday evenings every summer from 1951 until 2006, attracting thousands of people to picnic and enjoy the music, scenery and spectacular fireworks. In February 2007, English Heritage decided to abandon these concerts owing to restrictions placed on them after protests from some local residents. The future of Kenwood House is now uncertain, as English Heritage depended on the income from the Lakeside Concerts to maintain the house at a cost of around a million pounds per year. On 19 March 2008, it was announced that the concerts would return to a new location on the Pasture Ground within the Kenwood Estate, with the number of concerts limited to eight per season.

Paintings and other collections

right by Rembrandt (1661)]] Paintings of note include

  • The Guitar Player by Johannes Vermeer
  • Self Portrait with Two Circles, a late Rembrandt self-portrait
  • Portrait of Pieter van den Broecke, by Frans Hals
  • Thomas Gainsborough, 'Portrait of Countess Howe' (wife of Richard Howe, 1st Earl Howe)
  • Edwin Henry Landseer, 'Hunting in the Olden Times'

Other painters include

  • Joshua Reynolds, 'Mrs. Tollemache as 'Miranda
  • Angelica Kauffman
  • John Crome
  • George Morland
  • Anthony van Dyck
  • William Larkin
  • J. M. W. Turner
  • Arthur Boyd Houghton
  • François Boucher
  • Thomas Lawrence, 'Miss Murray'
  • George Romney
  • Jan Baptist Weenix
  • Joseph Wright

Most of the works were acquired by Iveagh in the 1880s–1890s and focus on Old Master portraits, landscapes and 17th century Dutch and Flemish works and British artists. Others were not part of the Iveagh Bequest but were added to the collection after his death because of a connection with Kenwood House.<ref name=Post/>

There is also a collection of shoe buckles, jewellery and portrait miniatures.

In 2012 an exhibition of works from the art collection 'Rembrandt, Van Dyck, Gainsborough: The Treasures of Kenwood House, London' began a tour of museums in the United States while Kenwood House was undergoing renovations; many of the works had never been outside Britain. The exhibit opened 6 June 2013 in Little Rock, Arkansas at the Arkansas Arts Center.<ref name=Post>Template:Cite news</ref>



  • The Buildings of England London 4: North. Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner. ISBN 0-300-09653-4.
  • Kenwood: The Iveagh Bequest. Julius Bryant. (English Heritage publication).

External links



Template:London museums Template:Parks and open spaces in London